Shift Knob/ Rod issues

Hello all, I bought an 88' Pioneer with the 242 L6 in IMMACULATE condition. However, there are some small issues. I just fixed one, which was a leaking master cylinder, so in comparison, my latest issue is small. First is my shift knob. When I purchased it, it had a golf ball that was bored out to fit as a shift knob. I tossed it and mistakingly installed a universal shift knob. I've been through about 15 since. What can I use that will be more permanent, or do you know where I can get an original? Also, any ideas how to prevent my shift rod from detaching? It comes free every once in a while. I'll post pics of the beauty soon, as well as my extensive project of customizing her.

not sure about the shift rod, the shifter itself may be NG if the rod keeps popping out of it.. shift knobs can be had from just about any junkyard, the shift rod threads are M10X1.50, so if you find a shift knob you like that has different threads than M10 , you can make your own thread adapters if you have access to a drill press and a metric tap and die set.. the shift knob i put in mine came from a freightliner, and it has 1/2x13 threads, so i took a 1/2 bolt, stuck it in a drill press and drilled out the middle of it, then tapped out the inside to M10 threads, then cut the bolt head off and there's your thread adapter

THe one the OP just made a deal on looks like a TJ shifter. Too smooth to be a YJ shifter knobby.

This one?

Image Not Found

You are correct. That isn't an original XJ/MJ shifter. That's the knob for a TJ Wrangler and for the 1997 and newer XJs. However, although it isn't the correct knob, it is a much better knob. The originals have a steel sleeve inside a ceramic sleeve that's bonded to the rubber knob cover. It doesn't take too long before the ceramic cracks, the outer cover starts to flex, and then it loses the bond to the ceramic and the whole thing falls apart.

I went through three or four on my '88 Cherokee before I switched over to the new style. Buy it once and you're done. Much, much better.

I went down to Ace harware and grabbed a metric "anchor" nut. It is a barrel nut with a platform that has 3 serrated tangs in it for holding the barrel portion into what ever medium you drive it into. The nut was 49 cents, pounded that into a universal shift knob and installed. It doesnt seem to be subject to the heating/shrinking issue that killed my OEM knob and has lasted a couple of years.