coolant temp sensor + wiring

The Renix (1990 and older) engines have two coolant temperature sensors. The one in the head is for the temp gauge on the dashboard, the one on the side of the block is for the ECU. Which one are you asking about?

On the HO engines, the temp sender is in the thermostat housing.

Don't have Renix engines with an auxiliary fan have a third one in the radiator?

I believe the aux fan on the HO engines is controlled by the ECU based on the thermostat housing sensor's reading.

I believe so. I seem to remember there being a sensor in the rad when I just had the motor out of the XJ.

Sorry. I was asking about the sensor in the side of the block. The PO cut the wires and. Plugged the whole. I'm thinking it might b a HO motor cause of small things such as the old coil that's mounted on the side of the block. Any definitive. Way to tell if its HO ?

Sorry. I was asking about the sensor in the side of the block. The PO cut the wires and. Plugged the whole. I'm thinking it might b a HO motor cause of small things such as the old coil that's mounted on the side of the block. Any definitive. Way to tell if its HO ?

Coil on the side of the block?

That sounds to me like an old AMC 258 c.i.d. engine. The Renix coil/ignition module is on the inner fender, and I thought the HO mounted it in the same place.

I'm thinking it might b a HO motor cause of small things such as the old coil that's mounted on the side of the block. Any definitive. Way to tell if its HO ?

Some differences are:

RENIX has an EGR valve, HO does not

RENIX air intake bolts to throttle body with 3 screws, HO is different

RENIX valve cover:

HO valve cover:

I'm sure there are others along with what was mentioned above, I thought there was a post with differences a while ago.

The Renix coil/ignition module is on the inner fender, and I thought the HO mounted it in the same place.

Nope, it's on the block. For the 2.5 and 4.0. IIRC 4.0 mounts in front of the dist, 2.5 mounts behind. I can get pics of each when I get home.