Northern Ontario 86 Comanche

here's my story;

I bought myself an 86 Comanche in 2002....2.8l....no floor....bald 225s....rotten rear fenders...that I red duct taped to keep the OPP away...

Put new 31 BFG MT on it cause I was tired of getting stuck

Front and Rear bumper were rotten....Installed 3 1/2 inch schedule 80 pipe.....

Wheeled the truck for a few years like this till I killed the first 2.8....A year after the first transplant I rolled it...bought an 86 2WD with a 2.8....Didnt take much to reborn this ride...

Transfer parts from the red Comanche to the Grey Comanche....Straighten out some panels....Lift it

....Modify it.....Test it...Paint it

Test it some more..

..Kill another 2.8.....Swap it....

So thats where I am at now

First of all it's no longer a 2.8.....I squeezed in a 4.3 vortex :thumbsup: ......Secondly....The top vid was at the Ottawa Valley Offroaders Twist off event....Third...Long arms are custom made from tractor trailer arms that I lenghtened to 36 inches.....

All I did was cut the box at the back of the rear spring mount, cut staight across including the X-frame where the spare mounts...And ahead of the rear lights and moved them forward....Capped off the spring mounts with 3/16 plate, Added 4x4x1/4 angle along the x-frameto attach the rear bumper....pics to come.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2.8 to 4.3 swap is a big job on an 86....should have went 3.4 but......custom everything and I mean everything......today I shortened the rear drive shaft 2 inches...moved the 2.8 rad forward 4 inches cause the 4.3 rad is to wide....sendind out the 2.8 rad for double maybe triple core....or electric fan.....not decided....front Drive shaft is another issue....wanna keep double cardan but must extend it 4 maybe 5 inches.....as for wiring....Have decided to gut the Comanche and insert 4.3 digital console cause of all the sensors......this decision was a long thought out process but seems to be the easiest way to go......updates on this to follow....Any inputs are welcome and appreciated please don't be shy..... :doh:

• 5 months later...

Havent posted in a while on the swap.....Modified the t-case x-member , turns out the whole power train assembly is 7 inches longer then the 2.8 set up......extended front double cardan driveshaft from Comanche 6 inches....Lots of the harness plugs are the same making it quite easy to wire into comanche harness....stripped S-10 harness down to bear necessities to wire in comanche harness into it...BTW....S10 harness has the same mounting holes and screws as my Comanche....go figure....Cab fan plug ....same....sensors under steering column.....same....headlight plugs....same....flasher plugs....same..got a friend to wire the s10 into the comanche cluster.....he did it....Starter...same...Now to see if the S10 sending unit fits in the Comanche tank....I think it will....pics to come once I sort them out...