Using an NP-242 lever for a home made posi lock

Read up about the home brew posi lock and think I might go through with it this weekend. I want it to look like it is supposed to be there. Has anyone had any luck using the 2/4 lever off of an NP-242 jeep? I've got the 207 (might upgrade to a 231), so that spot on the console should be blank....

Any input before I go hunting for one.

Image Not Found

Ive got one in my mj, the previous owner installed it when he did the 4x4 conversion. He used a newer np231 that didnt have provisions for the axle disco, but he really wanted a disco front axle... not sure what else to tell ya except it works just fine. Although I personally didnt install it, from what i can tell its pretty straightforward.

Read up about the home brew posi lock and think I might go through with it this weekend. I want it to look like it is supposed to be there. Has anyone had any luck using the 2/4 lever off of an NP-242 jeep? I've got the 207 (might upgrade to a 231), so that spot on the console should be blank....

Any input before I go hunting for one.

Image Not Found

I'm not really sure what you think you have in mind, but that console in your photo does not show a Cherokee/Comanche with a 242 transfer case. That's an old 84-86 model with a 228/229 -- the 2/4 switch is a vacuum switch, not a mechanical lever. It has been used as an axle disconnect control, but a Posi-Lock is a mechanical device, not vacuum actuated.

The axle disconnect is vacuum actuated, so you can use a vacuum switch like that to control it. But you have to look for an 86 or earlier with Select-Trac, and that may not be easy to find.

A Posi-Lock used a cable like a throttle or choke cable and converts the disconnect to mechanical operation. Both methods work ... take your pick.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to do this mod as well...I pulled the upper vacuum harness from the 228 (runs from the selector switch to the engine compartment). The lines are green, yellow and red. I believe I need to tap into the 231 similarly colored lines at the firewall. I am going by a vacuum diagram for the 228 from an SJ. Can anyone confirm the lines I will be tapping are correct? Thanks.

Or you could simply pop off the cover, pull the C-clip, slide the collar and fork to the locked position, then reinstall the C-clip to keep it there. Done. Never have to worry about vacuum lines again. :D

Or you could simply pop off the cover, pull the C-clip, slide the collar and fork to the locked position, then reinstall the C-clip to keep it there. Done. Never have to worry about vacuum lines again. :D

Some people like the manual actuation on the CAD for the 2Lo option. I've considered doing it, but soonish both MJs will have non CAD axles and the XJ is getting the one piece shaft when the 242 goes in.