Just a few questions.

Been jeepin' for a while, but new to Comanches.

I'm used to a 4cly TJ with a 3spd automatic, so the v6 Comanche is a little different and I have a few questions.

1) I've read horrible things about the floors rusting out. Is there a good way to pull the carpet and still be able to put it back in when I'm done checking the floor?

2) Where can I get a soft Tonneau cover for the bed of a 1986 MJ? I found a fiberglass cap on craigslist l for $50, but it's way too much like work taking a cap off when I want to haul something big.

3) Where can I get replacement rocker panels? The cancer isn't too horrible, someone just did a real bad job bondoing the rockers, so cutting them out and replacing will be easiest.

4) I'm used to fuel injection and a torque converter, are there aftermarket carbs for the 2.8? I am accustomed to watching my CJ friends struggle to keep carb'd engines running on a steep incline.

5) Is there a good source for headliners?

6)I know how awesome the Dana 35 is, and never could break one on the TJ, so I am prepared to live with it. I'm getting too old to be tearing stuff up and don't plan on running big tires, I got that out of my system with the TJ. My research indicates that the V6/ax-5 combo will most definitely be backed up by 3.55 gears, correct?

7) The drop in bed liner annoys me. Is there a good way to work around the bed tie downs when herculining?

8) My brother's '94 XJ has a rod knocking and the front is bashed in, so he'll probably be parting it out soon. Will the NP-231 easily replace the NP-207

8.5) Skid plates. Will an XJ transfer case skid bolt right on?

9)Anyone know where to get a diagram for the fuse box? None of the labels are readable and I want my flippin dome lights to work.

1) I've read horrible things about the floors rusting out. Is there a good way to pull the carpet and still be able to put it back in when I'm done checking the floor?

Remove seat and seat pedestals. Remove carpet. Patch floor. Install carpet. Install seat.

2) Where can I get a soft Tonneau cover for the bed of a 1986 MJ? I found a fiberglass cap on craigslist l for $50, but it's way too much like work taking a cap off when I want to haul something big.

Any local auto upholstery (or boat cushion place if you're near water) can make you one.

3) Where can I get replacement rocker panels? The cancer isn't too horrible, someone just did a real bad job bondoing the rockers, so cutting them out and replacing will be easiest.

J C Whitney. Sherman Auto Parts. CertiFit.

4) I'm used to fuel injection and a torque converter, are there aftermarket carbs for the 2.8? I am accustomed to watching my CJ friends struggle to keep carb'd engines running on a steep incline.

Check Summit Racing.

5) Is there a good source for headliners?

Nope

6)I know how awesome the Dana 35 is, and never could break one on the TJ, so I am prepared to live with it. I'm getting too old to be tearing stuff up and don't plan on running big tires, I got that out of my system with the TJ. My research indicates that the V6/ax-5 combo will most definitely be backed up by 3.55 gears, correct?

Almost certainly NOT. Probably 3.73s.

7) The drop in bed liner annoys me. Is there a good way to work around the bed tie downs when herculining?

Mask them off and apply Herculiner.

8) My brother's '94 XJ has a rod knocking and the front is bashed in, so he'll probably be parting it out soon. Will the NP-231 easily replace the NP-207

Not that NP231. Your 207 most likely has a 21-spline input. His '94 has a 23-spline.

8.5) Skid plates. Will an XJ transfer case skid bolt right on?

Yes

9)Anyone know where to get a diagram for the fuse box? None of the labels are readable and I want my flippin dome lights to work.

I think someone posted it recently.

Elec FSM in PDF (its for an 88. Not sure if its the same for the 86, someone should chime in and let you know for sure)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12734

Ebay custom comanche headliner, a few guys on here have bought them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-M ... ccessories

The tranny cross member from the truck without the TC skid probally won't have the threaded inserts to mount the skid with. So unless the tranny crossmember is also a direct swap you will need to either put the threaded inserts in or get a crossmember from a truck that has the inserts there already. There is a thread on here that shows the difference

here's the link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3432

Your rear axle gearing is most likely 4:10 but will need confirmation. My 86 2.8 Ax5 4x4 parts vehicle came with 4:10, the AX4 models usually came with 3:55. And Ive seen for sale performance intakes and carbs for the Chevy 3.4 litre from a camaro, I think they mae headers for it too, but you have to look it up as a 3.4, which willbolt right in with all the 2.8 accesories in place of the 2.8 with minor modifications.

Your dome lights working probably has nothing to do with the fuse box. You need to pull the dome light out and clean all the contacts with some fine sandpaper, the roller part in them is also a contact and will need to be cleaned also. Also check the door switches to make sure they are not sticking in the door closed position and that the springs in them are working properly and that they are adjusted properly in relation to the door jamb. I went through all that on mine and they have worked ever since.

The tranny cross member from the truck without the TC skid probally won't have the threaded inserts to mount the skid with. So unless the tranny crossmember is also a direct swap you will need to either put the threaded inserts in or get a crossmember from a truck that has the inserts there already. There is a thread on here that shows the difference

here's the link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3432

That is a non-problem. My truck did not have the nutserts. I just used 1/4" bolts, some washers and nylon stop nuts to bolt the skid plate to the cross member and frame. The holes are already there.

Some transfer cases do not have a true neutral, but lock the front and rear drive shafts together in the neutral position. I know for a fact my 1987 231 does, have not yet tested my 94 231. No clue about the 207 or 242.

Same technique still works, but you need to either also jack up a front wheel, or leave the transfer case in 2wd and put the transmission in neutral.

not on the carrier, but there should be a marking on the ring gear. the tire rotating technique is fool-proof though. :thumbsup:

Even if the t-case locks the front and rear together, I think his truck is still stock enough to have a working CAD and so then the front shaft would rotate with the rear, but the system would still be free of the front tires and would function properly for the experiment. Plus, it's always good to know if a truck had a true neutral or not. :thumbsup: