interior lights

what bulb type goes in a stock mj dome light

I have two here, one is a 12V7W M8 (made in France) on the left and a 12V10W 7D on the right.

I'm not sure of the correct one but both will work (I assume the French made one was stock since the lights are Renault), the '90 parts catalog has it as T3097183. They are just under 1.5 inches overall (~1.45 in, 36.5mm).

Image Not Found

• 4 months later...

Found CC via Google while looking for info on these lights... I've been on NAXJA for a while, was recommended to join CC a few months back when I became the maintainer of an MJ I now own.

Resurrecting this thread for an ultra stupid question, and a not so stupid question!

Stupid first - how do I get the lamp sockets for these out of the panels? I tried prying gently with a key, but chickened out before they came out because I really don't want to break anything on this MJ, it's got enough problems to fix already! Looks to me like they just have a retention clip at each end? Should I just man up and pry away?

Not so stupid - are they controlled separately from the lamps under the dash? The lamps under the dash over both the passenger and driver foot areas work great, but both upper interior lights on the B pillars don't work. I can't decide if it's just that they are on a separate switch I haven't found yet, or that I got lucky and both are burnt out.

EDIT: just read the "every MJ owner should know this" thread, will try the socket turning trick and mess around with it a little bit when I get out of work...

1st........one of the Rules here is........There are no stupid questions :eek:

2nd.........Welcome to the Madness :ack:

This topic might give you a little better idea on how to "repair" the dome lights -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7512&hilit=dome+lights

And, another one -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13964

If your floor lights are coming on, your in good shape, that means the door switch are working correctly :D

Yes, you need a small flat screwdriver to push back the tabs that hold the lights in B-column trim.

Awesome! Thanks!

I'm already quite familiar with the madness... I don't want to know how many thousands of dollars I've put into my XJ :D Just picked up the MJ in rough shape after helping a friend limp it along for a few months, I hope to do a functional restoration on it.

If it's anything like an XJ (which I expect) I would just be looking for pink and yellow wires (constant +12 and switched ground) and I suspect the door jamb switches are the same as an XJ also, but from what you're saying those are working fine so I won't worry about them.

Leaving work in a few minutes, so I'll take a stab at it.

Also - I'll be pulling the A/B pillar trim to swap out my headliner soon, and my sun visors are bagged out, I'm thinking of replacing them with some of the same length from a junker 94-96 XJ with lighted mirrors, am I going to be in for a little wiring doing this (no big deal) or is there a pink wire up there to plug into? I'm not sure lighted mirror sunvisors were ever offered on the MJ...

I tried replacing just the bulbs in my "dome" lights, but that didn't work. So I ended up buying new dome lights at the local auto parts store, and on/off switches at Radio Shack. I don't have the knowledge or patience to figure out why they weren't working, so I made sure the wires at the dome lights were functioning properly,wired them into the switches, and bypassed the door jamb switches. Instead of the LED light strip that was featured in one of the threads in here, I just replaced the standard 194(?) bulb with a white 3-LED bulb, and wow is that bright!

Yea, the MJ and XJ are very similar, and the wiring is negative switched ;)

There was a option for the lighted vanity visors, I have a '90 that has them. But there is not a wire up in the headliner for this. There is a wire behind the drivers side B-trim for the cargo light that you'll find in every MJ.

If you going to be pulling the B-trim for the headliner replacement, the don't mess with the dome light now, just pop them out when you can get to the back side of them :brows:

And how you find time at work to be in here :hmm:

I don't even find time at home at night to be in here :ack:

:teehee:

Before I was even a member, and my dome lights didnt work, I just took them out and cleaned all the contact points in the lights, including the roller.... they were all coroded almost black, and they have been working ever since. It was no big deal, even for someone whos never looked at one before that day... as long as you have any sort of inkling about how things work, you should be able to fix this yourself. And the door switches too, if their contacts are bad, it is super easy to just throw a new one in and youre good to go. don't make this out to be harder than it is. It would be harder to wire new lights in than to make the old ones work. Good Luck!

My 87 mj has a three wire set up there is a 12v constant with a ground broken by the pin switches in the door and a constant ground in the event you have switches on the light that can turn the lights on, off completely or switched by the door or headlamp switch. The strap between the bulbs positive and negative had long been gone so I cut the end wires off a diode and soldered it to make up the light and did not make up the constant ground since the stock lights did not come with individual on off switches. Yes it is nice to be able to see when you open the door just remember if you are installing a simple interior light that does not have a switch or toggle on the light the most simple way is to simply cut the constant ground and tape it off otherwise you lights will be on all the time.

jim- 1987 mj 4.0l 4X4 pioneer

My 87 mj has a three wire set up there is a 12v constant with a ground broken by the pin switches in the door and a constant ground in the event you have switches on the light that can turn the lights on, off completely or switched by the door or headlamp switch. The strap between the bulbs positive and negative had long been gone so I cut the end wires off a diode and soldered it to make up the light and did not make up the constant ground since the stock lights did not come with individual on off switches. Yes it is nice to be able to see when you open the door just remember if you are installing a simple interior light that does not have a switch or toggle on the light the most simple way is to simply cut the constant ground and tape it off otherwise you lights will be on all the time.

jim- 1987 mj 4.0l 4X4 pioneer

I thought the cover over the bulb was the on/off for the individual light. The cover rotates to the side to turn the light on.

There was a option for the lighted vanity visors, I have a '90 that has them. But there is not a wire up in the headliner for this. There is a wire behind the drivers side B-trim for the cargo light that you'll find in every MJ.

If you going to be pulling the B-trim for the headliner replacement, the don't mess with the dome light now, just pop them out when you can get to the back side of them :brows:

And how you find time at work to be in here :hmm:

I don't even find time at home at night to be in here :ack:

:teehee:

Yeah, I discovered that when I got in the MJ right after posting that :shake: I flipped the visor down and there it was, I have that option and hadn't even realized it yet :D Thanks for the info about where the wiring is, good to know ahead of time.

I find time at work to be on here because I fly a desk... I'm a computer engineer and some of the time I'm either waiting for code to compile or waiting for a test to complete and pretty much just drumming my fingers on the desk, or on here/NAXJA.

Before I was even a member, and my dome lights didnt work, I just took them out and cleaned all the contact points in the lights, including the roller.... they were all coroded almost black, and they have been working ever since. It was no big deal, even for someone whos never looked at one before that day... as long as you have any sort of inkling about how things work, you should be able to fix this yourself. And the door switches too, if their contacts are bad, it is super easy to just throw a new one in and youre good to go. don't make this out to be harder than it is. It would be harder to wire new lights in than to make the old ones work. Good Luck!

Yeah I pulled mine out to see if it was just a bad bulb. Contacts are corroded well past usefulness, bulbs were bad, and all the plastic clips that held them in broke off when I removed them, even though I was extremely careful. I think I'm probably going to just go the route someone in this thread did and replace the lights with aftermarket ones that cover the hole.