broken power/comfort button.

is there a way i can just hard wire the tranny power/comfort button to stay on power? the button was broken when i got the mj and the lights don't come on when i manually switch it after i took it apart. so i just want to set it on power and forget about it. anyone done this before?

Image Not Found

i wasnt paying attention when i took it all apart..ha. so do you know which wire does which? there is tan and black to chose from. and I'm guessing that other light in the pic isnt for when its in power, just an interior light. or if someone has a wiring schematic that would help alot

the plug connector only goes on one way, there's a little notch in it. you should be able to look at the connector, and the pieces of the switch to figure out which side was comfort and power.

worst case you wire it to comfort on your first try, then just wire it the other way. the center wire will be the signal, so if all else fails wire it to the black one, i think it is ground getting sent to the computer to keep it in power mode. if not, switch it.

only renix era had them. pre 91

Have to disagree. My '91 Eliminator had one. I have seen them in the XJ's also.

They can also be found on MOPAR ERA jeeps.

Rob L.

really, man i'm all wrong today. :doh: i had a 90 and a 91 xj at the same time, the renix had it and the ho did not, unless my years are off. i thought ho didn't have them, i no 95 or 96 and up didn't have it.

only renix era had them. pre 91

Have to disagree. My '91 Eliminator had one. I have seen them in the XJ's also.

They can also be found on MOPAR ERA jeeps.

Rob L.

really, man i'm all wrong today. :doh: i had a 90 and a 91 xj at the same time, the renix had it and the ho did not, unless my years are off. i thought ho didn't have them, i no 95 or 96 and up didn't have it.

my 93 and 94 both didnt have them. picked a switch up for 10$ and snagged some extra dash light bulbs. i can't really tell the difference when driving and when i switch it the light doesnt come on either when switched to power mode. at least it doesnt look crappy now.

• 3 years later...

what does the switchactually do though? i see it all the time and never turned it on cause i didnt know what its for? would it be good to use when muddin? better on gas one way or the other? everything would be helpful... i have no clue what it does besides my buddy saying use it if you pull something... haha     :???:

2 different shifting programs. Power is for us. comfort is for Grandma. Factory defaulted the tCU to Power in 1991.

Here's how you fix it once and for all.

Bypassing the Power/Comfort Switch

Remove and unplug the switch. In the harness are 3 wires One has a stripe, one is tan, and the other black. Make a 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one end in the cavity for the tan wire and the other in the cavity for the striped wire and you'll be in permanent Power mode. Stuff the harness back in and reinstall the switch for looks.

Adjust your TV cable while you're at it and feel your Jeep wake up.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/

Make sure the 7.5 amp "trans" fuse is not blown also.

My experience with it on a '91 is that I don't think it does much more than remap shift points to keep you in lower gears for longer. Might also do something with the torque converter lockup point too, but the shift points are most noticeable. It also seems to contribute to smoky tire launches, although I'm not really sure how, as the launch shouldn't really be affected by shift points.

There is a definite difference between power and comfort though. Don't ever go from comfort to power while accelerating hard around a corner, especially when you're going up a hill. The PO did that to me when I was test driving it. Broke traction on a damp on-ramp at around 45mph. I threw out the seat covers after I got it home. His was a little wet. I really don't think he enjoyed the sideways ride. :brows:

Mostly I drive with it in "comfort" because the owner's manual claims that it's better for fuel economy. I used the power switch when cruising through deeper snow in 4x4 and when I want to accelerate really hard. TBH though, I haven't hit it for a few months.

• 1 year later...

2 different shifting programs. Power is for us. comfort is for Grandma. Factory defaulted the tCU to Power in 1991.

Remove and unplug the switch. In the harness are 3 wires One has a stripe, one is tan, and the other black. Make a 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one end in the cavity for the tan wire and the other in the cavity for the striped wire and you'll be in permanent Power mode. Stuff the harness back in and reinstall the switch for looks.

Yep, that works. Just tried it.

Yep, that works. Just tried it.

Which one did you do? Or both?