Pillar lights

I've read on here that they usually stop working over time.

I know the lights should come on when the doors open, since I just picked up some kick panel lights and they light up with open doors.

Until yesterday (I found an owner's manual at the jy), I had no idea that you could push the lens and it would click into place for 'always on' or 'only with door'.

I was so excited I ran outside to try it .... but it didn't work. Why? Has anyone figured out why these lights go ka-put? It's in good shape, and all the contacts are solid.

Mine didnt work when I got my truck, I took them out and cleaned all the contact points in the lights, there is a little roller in there made of metal that is also a contact. Just clean them up and re try, thry should work, or search the forum here for DIY replacements with other types of lights. I think one was from a Porsche!, The contact in the door switch too should be cleaned too. Theres no reason you can't get them working!

Make sure they are turned 'ON' with the door.... Don't ask me how I know to do this. The lens is a three position switch; On with the door - off- On. (down-middle-up)

Yeah, I tried that too, after reading the owner's manual I found in the junkyard. Up and Down did nothing. :(

When I first bought my MJ, way back in the day, I rode around for a good 6 months without light. I stopped at a jeep guys house to pick up a roll bar and grill guard, when I saw the light. He peered in, pulled the light, and within 5 minutes of a little sanding and cleaning with some emery cloth, had a well-lit cab. Was like a new baby.

I second the clean/scratch up the contacts.

Rob L.

Cool, I'll give that a shot. I'll clean up where the contacts ... well, contact ... each other and see if that doesn't help some. You guys are the best. image_209027.gif

Hope it works for you, and do understand you're wanting to keep the originals. I did too, but the PO had replaced the stock 6W tubular bulbs with "upgraded" incandescent 15W bulbs, and the extra heat they generated on the old housings toasted/cracked the plastic copper contact holders - there was no repairing possible, only replacement. The Hella Porsche/VW lamps are just built better than the chessy French Renault originals. Just be very gentle when you clean them up. And consider junking the incandescent bulds for LED's; more light output minus the heat. :cheers:

Yes, I don't remember the p/n for the tubular bulb, but when you pull your lights, pop the bulb out and it will be stamped on the bulb. Then do a seach for LED xxxx, and there will be many options. The Porsche/VW Hellas I put in use the same bulb, and I have LED's in them. Plug and play w/o the heat. :cheers:

When I pulled my carpet and padding a few weeks ago, I had some of the interior panels apart, so I carefully pulled the lights out. They have never worked, but they look to be in good condition. I will be cleaning them up soon. I am glad to know there's a LED replacement!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I took some sandpaper to the contacts and cleaned them up as much as I could. After I hooked them up, they would kind of work.

I noticed that with the door closed, I could rotate the bezel up or down and the lights would come on. One direction is for 'doors only' and the other direction is for 'always on'. Is that right?

If so, it sounds like I might have a bad ground or something. Where do the pillar lights ground at?

I noticed that with the door closed, I could rotate the bezel up or down and the lights would come on. One direction is for 'doors only' and the other direction is for 'always on'. Is that right?

That means they are working correctly.

That means they are working correctly.

With the doors closed and the bezel rotated to "doors only" shouldn't the lights be off? Mine were on.

The switches are the grounds for the lights. Remove and adjust the door switches, both sides, one must be stuck on, maybe a bad spring. Play with them and see if it makes a difference. New ones are cheap enough if you have to replace them. I bought new ones for mine through the dealer, they still have them!

Oh, duh. I knew about the sticky switches. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I assume that's the ground for the kick-panel lights, too, right?

You are correct sir! And I just now thought of it, Check your headlight switch, where the dimmer turns all the way to the left, it should give them power too, make sure it isnt on all the time right now.

Oh, duh. I knew about the sticky switches. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I assume that's the ground for the kick-panel lights, too, right?

You are correct sir! And I just now thought of it, Check your headlight switch, where the dimmer turns all the way to the left, it should give them power too, make sure it isnt on all the time right now.

Good call. I'll check both of those things and report back. I'm excited to sometimes get light from the fixtures, though. Need to clean the contacts better; they're not continuous light.

The lights ground threw one of the three wires on the light plug,which in turn goes to the door switches where the light is grounded,when the door opens,lights up.

I cleaned the contacts on my lights,replaced the drivers side door switch,lights work fine.Cool.

Whoops my bad,didn't see page two...........again.

Alright, so I took some sandpaper to the contacts and cleaned them up as much as I could. After I hooked them up, they would kind of work.

If so, it sounds like I might have a bad ground or something. Where do the pillar lights ground at?

I got mine working this afternoon. I just need to do the LED upgrade. I couldn't believe how much sanding on the contacts and that pesky wheel was required. I kept testing them for continuity before bothering to hook them back up.

If your contact is flaky, very gently try to bend the tabs up a bit. Flip the switch in one direction, and bent up the "open" tab. Then flip it the other direction to bend the other one. I used a toothpick to do it. The toothpick seemed to give before I bent the metal too much.

I got mine working this afternoon. I just need to do the LED upgrade. I couldn't believe how much sanding on the contacts and that pesky wheel was required. I kept testing them for continuity before bothering to hook them back up.

If your contact is flaky, very gently try to bend the tabs up a bit. Flip the switch in one direction, and bent up the "open" tab. Then flip it the other direction to bend the other one. I used a toothpick to do it. The toothpick seemed to give before I bent the metal too much.

What did you sand with? I have been using a piece of sandpaper because I don't have anything else that fits into that small of a space.