Manual window won't roll up!

If I rolled the window down all the way, I would need to get inside the door panel and help the window up until the crank would grab and roll up. A friend :dunce: rolled it down the other day, now I can't get it to roll up any at all. :mad: :headpop: Any ideas on how to get it to roll up just one more time? :help:

I've had XJ/MJ's where the end of the drive spring rusts, and the crank gear just spins, trying to grab & drive the spring.

(drive mechanism is a kind of long coil spring in a tube, with a gear that meshes up against it, and drives it up & down).

Did you try (carefully) grabbing the glass, and pulling it up a little, then seeing if it'll crank up?

I had the front doors on my first XJ do this, but the rears windows didn't need the full length of the drive (and the ends of those drives weren't rusted), so I swapped the mechanism rear >> front, and all was well again. :D

If you do end up swapping drives, you have to drill out a bunch of rivets to pull it out, but the rivets are really soft (easy to drill) & you can replace them with short 1/4-20 nuts & bolts.

You need a new window regulator. There is a piece that tends to rust and break. It has probally broke off at the end and thats why it will "catch" when you start it by pushing it up. Mine is doing the same thing. Just need to pick up a rivet gun to put the new one in. I will try and find a pic of the part.

Yea, I used to could pull up on the glass and it would catch and crank up. This time it won't even catch. I can only raise the glass only about 1/8" though. It seems like something is in a bind and won't let the glass come up any more than that. A picture will help a lot. If I drill out the rivets, does the part just come out or does it pin or clip to something?

Oh, OK now I see. That doesn't look too complicated. Now I have 2 questions. I can get the manual unit as a whole assembly from a 96 cherokee rear door, same side, right? Also, is the tool for removing the glass a special tool, or is that something I can get from the local auto parts store?

There is one more thing you can check. On the regulator where the window attaches is a flat piece that, one end attaches to the window and the other end to the regulator. In its normal position, the window will be above the regulator connection. What happens is sometimes the window will get out of alignment and that piece swings around and the window will be below where the flat piece attaches to the regulator. What this causes, is basically the window is aloud to travel 2 inches farther down which will go below the rubber and then the window does not want to come back up. It will also cause the window to be hard to get closed the last inch or so when rolling it up. Hope this makes since.

In this pic, the piece I'm talking about (Bottom end attached to the regulator and the hole is where the window will attach) is in the correct position.

:cheers:

Rear Cherokee doors have a shorter regulator, they will not work on the front doors. I've pulled a couple, and compared, they will not work.

The Cherokee front door regulators are the same as a Comanche door, and yes, you'll need either a right front door, or a left front door, they are handed.

That tool is a adjustable spanner wrench, some parts stores carry them, and I think I've seen them at Harbor Fright. That just holds the back washer so you can loosen the nut on the glass pin, that mounts on the regular arm.

I gotta take my door trim completely off to get a better look at this. If this flat piece swings around, can't I re-position it where it should be? So if I decide to replace the whole unit, I need one from preferably a 95 or 96 cherokee, front drivers side door? That spanner wrench looks a whole lot like the tool I use to replace my grinder wheel. I probably need one that adjusts.

I gotta take my door trim completely off to get a better look at this. If this flat piece swings around, can't I re-position it where it should be? So if I decide to replace the whole unit, I need one from preferably a 95 or 96 cherokee, front drivers side door? That spanner wrench looks a whole lot like the tool I use to replace my grinder wheel. I probably need one that adjusts.

Yes you can put it back in the right position. Easy way is to remove the nut connecting the window, lift the window up while guiding it back through the door, and spinning it around and reattaching the window. And far as the spanner wrench, before you buy one, try using a set of needle nose pliers and holding the back with your fingers. I haven't come across one yet that I couldn't get that way but I know some are pretty tight.

And yes on the front door regulators. In my repair, I just used the cable (snake) from the rear doors as they are the same size (at least for the electric windows).

That looks like something I can do. I just need to find the correct donor door from a 95 or 96 cherokee, take out and replace. Thanks for the pics, that helps tremendously. One more question, how and where does the glass come in or go out from the door itself?

That looks like something I can do. I just need to find the correct donor door from a 95 or 96 cherokee, take out and replace. Thanks for the pics, that helps tremendously. One more question, how and where does the glass come in or go out from the door itself?

If your talking about taking the glass out of the door completely, you will need to unbolt it from the regulator and let it drop(gently) to the bottom of the door. Then you need to remove the vent window. It has one bolt towards the bottom of the door, think 10mm, and then there is two screws on the angled side of it on the door. Pull it back towards the rear of the door and then out. Now you can get the window out.

• 9 years later...

I had the same thing happen.Rolled the window down and it would not come up.The handle just turned and turned.I took the panel off got a hold of the bottom of the window and applied pressure as I turned the handle and it caught hold and slowly came up.Thanks again..