I have had it with this ZJ... PICS of damage.

Automan2164

Any axle I put in I want to keep the CV's. I have heard if you put the u-jointers on the np249 you'll feel 'em everytime you turn...

I hear all sorts of things. Most of the things I hear are testimonials to how stupid the person I hear them from really is.

If this were true, why don't you feel the u-joints when driving a 242 in the full-time position?

Any axle I put in I want to keep the CV's. I have heard if you put the u-jointers on the np249 you'll feel 'em everytime you turn...

I hear all sorts of things. Most of the things I hear are testimonials to how stupid the person I hear them from really is.

If this were true, why don't you feel the u-joints when driving a 242 in the full-time position?

:agree:

If you want to keep the CV shafts, just swap them over. Spline count, length, etc. should all be the same.

Willy

Think I have made the decision to keep it and swap axles. I am going to do some more research on available ratio's though... I would like to find some bolt in axles with better than 3.55 gears. Then, since I have the axles out I might as well put some 2" spacers on it, and use the chance of re-gearing to run some 31's. I think I fubared something when I did the bearing sets. The rear axle is generating a lot of heat like the front. I think I crushed the sleeve too far and have too much pinion pre-load. I'm just going to swap 'em out.

Rob L.

Find a ZJ Limited with tow hooks and rear hitch...most likely it will have the "Up Country" package, which is 3.73 gearing and a factory 1" lift. You'll run 31's fine.

ry%3D400

Very light offroading should be fine....

Find a ZJ Limited with tow hooks and rear hitch...most likely it will have the "Up Country" package, which is 3.73 gearing and a factory 1" lift. You'll run 31's fine.

ry%3D400

Very light offroading should be fine....

Nice! Thanks a ton man! Saved me some research. Was this available in all years of ZJ's?

Rob L.

I found a 5.9L ZJ at a dealer about 50 miles away. I am going to try for it. It has 100K on it, and they are asking $4,900. I am going to clean up my ZJ, air out the axle lube smell on the inside, and see what they can do. Insurance would only be $20 or so more a month... and I get something like this:

:drool:

Rob L.

If you end up with a junk rear axle, can you throw it my way?

What do you need?? I have 4 or 5 D-35's in pieces sitting around...

Rob.. if it comes to it.. 3.73 were part of the trailer package. Mine is a 94 Laredo with the trailer package. I've got 3.73 and a Trash-loc in mine.

Rob.. if it comes to it.. 3.73 were part of the trailer package. Mine is a 94 Laredo with the trailer package. I've got 3.73 and a Trash-loc in mine.

If I can get ahold of a ZJ rear that would be good, I'm making a grill/trailer out of the front engine bay of a Jeep, and I need something for an axle. If I can't find one, it's no biggie, should be able to make one.

If I can get ahold of a ZJ rear that would be good, I'm making a grill/trailer out of the front engine bay of a Jeep, and I need something for an axle. If I can't find one, it's no biggie, should be able to make one.

So... after I said something in the other thread about a yard trailer and you said you were too busy and no fab skills... now you are building a trailer... ;)

Anyway.. Gonna leave the carrier in or find some other way to run shafts? I have at least one or two that are non-C-clip housings from XJs.

Well, went and test drove it, and was dissapointed. It felt great, the power was good, smooth and on par. BUT, the underside was caked with mud, there was mud on the d/s rear seatbelt, the sunroof didn't work, and signs of abuse all over. :fs1: It ran good, but it wasn't treated well. But I can say I drove a 5.9L ZJ, and I will find one. :brows:

Even the exhaust note alone at idle says "balls". :drool:

Rob L.