Help with soa on 86 mj

Just bought an 86 lwb comanche 4x4 with 4:10's with a 30 up front and a 35 in the rear off a buddy for $350....it had 2.8 in it and he blew it up and put 3.4 in it. i've been researching soa lifts and want to do soa in the rear and 6.5" coils in the front.....i was curious as to where to find 7" spring perches at. That seemed to be what people recommended. Also wanted to know what all i would need in the front as far as uca, lca, and other steering components. Does anyone have a list or could give me list of what i will need up front for my steering set up and what size lift shocks i will need in the front and rear as well as what i good brand is to go with. I really don't care much about flexing or rock crawling and don't mind doing some fender trimming so with the 4:10's would i be ok to go with 35's or should i still stick with 33's? i'm going to see how long the 35 in the rear makes it and when it goes swap in a 44. I have alot of questions and not very knowledgable on these mj's so all and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anything over 5" means allot of reengineering. I mean about everything needs addressing. FORGET short arms in fact location. Drop brackets will suffice but a long arm set-up is well advised. FORGET factory inverted Y steering setup. FORGET factory track bar setup. 6" is allot for this truck, allot means expensive to do it right.

I also recommend the RE 5.5 SOA kit. Even then you will still need to address your steering linkage.

With 4:10 I would stick with 33's.

Good luck and post up what you go with and how you do it.

CW

"7" came from the length of the spring perch, i can't recall what post specifically but i did see it in multiple threads, like he said they were supposed to prevent spring wrap

It will not prevent it, it will provide the leverage to reduce it. How much you get is determined by the flex of your spring, the amount of traction and the weight of your right foot. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Its a not a bad idea, but don't get too hung up on it. Good set of new leafs will go a long way to eliminating spring wrap.

CW

Thanks for all the input...I have a guy wanting to trade me as is straight up for a 81 chevy longbed with 8" suspension and 3" body with 38.5" boggers with all 3/4 ton drivetrain so i may not even have the manche much longer...what do you think? i kind of want a small rig though like the manche or a cj becuse of how unique and narrow and how they are so easy to maneuver when out wheeling.

Since the short bed didn't come out until 87, your's is a long one. Trust me, a long bed Comanche is not easy to maneuver off road on trails meant for a Wrangler. The wheelbase is too long to make tight turns, and the rear overhang creates an awefully low departure angle. If you don't believe me, check the pictures for last Saturday's Badlands run in the Great Lakes Adventure Planning forum. I've been accused of dragging my bumper like a minitrucker :D

But a FS Chevy would be worse yet.

What you say about the LWB is true, but there are some definate advantages to having a longer wheelbase.

For example, where I wheel, 75% of the vehicles on the trails are XJs or wranglers .... which means all the ruts and slick spots were created by short wheelbase vehicles. With my longer wheelbase, I'm able to walk through places where everyone else gets stuck in the ruts.

Here is a video of my little truck on 31s going right through a hole that a fully locked XJ on 35s got stuck in and ended up breaking a shaft.