1989 Comanche

Hi I am new to Comanche's but not new to the Jeep world. I recently sold my 1994 Jeep Cherokee with a 3" lift and 33s. Today I looked at and test drove a 1989 Jeep Comanche 2WD, 4 cylinder, 4speed Manual with a shortbed. From what the current owner tells me it came stock without power steering. Is this true?

Hi,

Congratulations and welcome to the Club. That is the exact model that I have. Mine came without power steering, but I quickly added it. If you convert to power steering, you will need a pump from a 2.5L. The 4.0Ls have a different length shaft and the pulley will not line up correctly with the other pulleys. I know because I tried.

-Tom

Now for another question. How hard is it to replace the windshield if I were to do it myself? And can I use the glass out of another MJ or XJ? or buy new?

Have you ever done it before? It takes quite some time to learn to do it properly. This would be one of the things I would leave to a professional were it my truck.

That's one of those things where, if you have to ask, it's better to let the pros do it, or go learn how to do it from a pro.

Yes, you can use one from another XJ/MJ, if you can manage to get it out intact. That's not very likely. And all XJ/MJ windshields are the same, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just try to avoid the Chinese made ones.