Found a D44 at the bone yard, two questions for you

Went to the boneyard this morning and found a 1987 cherokee chief, 4.0 auto with a D44 rear axle. Couldnt get to a tag as the gas tank was hanging down, no tires on the vehicle and I would only fit under there if I was still 10 years old.

The yard wants $250 for the axle; good price?

Would that engine/trans combo mean 3.55 gearing?

I currently have 3.07 gearing on my 87, but the front axle is also there but missing the front cover. place closes at noon on saturdays; guess I can go back during the week and count the splines and pick this up maybe offer 350 for the set.

Regards

That's a little high considering the PITA it's going to be to get it out of there. I've seen D44s go for that already out of the vehicle.

It should be 3.55, but there's always the possibility of it being 3.73 or 4.10.

You might wanna check around first, but if you feel like pulling it yourself, it's not too bad of a price.

they did offer to put it over on a pedestal and assist in the removal, and I am sure the price may be somewhat negotiable. This yard is higher than others in the area, but the jeep section hasn't picked through as bad. I will let you all know if I can get the price down. May be why it is still there.

Man, you guys are tight. The last time I priced XJ Dana 44 axles the going price was $500 to $600. There aren't more of them now than there were then, so how'd the price get cut in half over the course of a couple of years? I did find one about four years ago for $75 -- it was 150 miles away, cost me a full day and a tank of gas to go get it.

Man, you guys are tight. The last time I priced XJ Dana 44 axles the going price was $500 to $600. There aren't more of them now than there were then, so how'd the price get cut in half over the course of a couple of years? I did find one about four years ago for $75 -- it was 150 miles away, cost me a full day and a tank of gas to go get it.

250-300 is pretty normal right now. i just bid on one on ebay that went for 280, i wasn't going higher than 250. most of them have to be regeared anyway, theres another few hundred dollars just in parts.