front axle

Swap in some axle shafts with 297s, truss the Dana 30, keep it open diff and don't be too abusive. Maybe some alloy axleshafts with CTMs if you can afford it. There really isn't any front axle with a 5-on4.5" bolt pattern that's better than the Dana 30 (unless you buy a complete aftermarket axle). The 8.8 is out of an Explorer, yes?

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/te ... dSeals.htm

As much as we may want to think it was the same, it is Ford we're talking about here. The manufacturer who changes stuff just for the hell of it. After all, the Rangers came with wussier axles, and they're trucks! Only one way to know for sure.

Upgarade to some alloy shafts, and the 760 u-joints then. But thats no quarantee that you won't break themn either. I did on 35's :eek:

THat's just putting the weak spot in the pumpkin itself.

What's the ring gear dia. on the 30? 7.125 7.2 something like that. It's just not strong enough for the big tires if you're rock crawling and being hard on it.

Let's not even talk about the unit bearings.

I guess you haven't seen any of the videos or pic of the way I wheel :brows: I have yet to break a ring gear, and I have yet to see one break on a d30. Not saying that that isnt the weak link, but I havent seen it :???: As for the unit bearings.... yeah they wear out, and if not torqued properly they fail rather quickly, but keep in mind all new axles out there are unit bearings. That means all the new d60's and d50's.

I wheel my rig on 35's and I am abusive to it, and if it wasnt for the facty that I want to run H1 beadlocks, and some 38's or 40's I would be keeping my d30.

The Isuzu rear D44 is a good match for the Waggy front D44, same 6lug wheel pattern and rear discs.

I'd give you a cookie. But the shipping would kill.

Look for the isuzu 12B's that are factory setup for coils/4-link. These axles are even better than the earlier ones (trooper 2's) as they are already 61" WMS-WMS. The earlier ones are only 59", so you'll need spacers.

These things will hold up to 37s without flinching. Factory avaliable with 4.56 gears and 4.77 and with a LSD. All of them have disk brakes. Locker avaliability hurts (ARB's, and ARB's).

And Pat, the new unit bearing axles are CRAP! They work fine given that the load point on them is where it was intended (stock rims and tires) and that the load on them is as the factory intended (stock tires, not exceeding intended load capacticy, etc) Also, realise these unit bearings are HUGE in comparison with the D30 $#!&.

I was just making a point. Granted the d30 unit bearings are small, but If they are torqued properly they will hold up to some abusive crap. Everyone girls about their cost, but I think they fail to realize how much each bearing and seal, and time is used in rebuilding or replacing broken shafts, or lock outs on older non unit bearing axles.