Took the advice, pulled the carpet and found...

Surface rust. It doesn't look too bad - I think. I am curious what the MJ gurus think. I imagine the best course of action is to figure out where the leak is and fix that before putting the carpet back in. Has anyone put carpet in without padding? I wonder how loud it is? I will let the padding air out. I figure I can re-use it if I want.

The passenger foot well was the wetest, but there was a little in each of the rear corners and a little on the driver side near the door jamb. Is there an all-around approach to attack all potential leaks? There is some rust forming in the lower corners of the aftermarket rear window. With the shape of the floorboard, I imagine the footwell wetness is from a cowl/windshield leak.

Many thanks to those tips in the "What is the most important tip you'd share with MJ owners?" thread. :bowdown: I'd never looked had it not been for that. As much water as there was in the padding, I can't get over how I never smelled anything or felt the dampness I'd expect. Here are a few photos I took.

int-a1.jpg

int-a2.jpg

int-a3.jpg

int-a4.jpg

int-a5.jpg

int-a6.jpg

int-a7.jpg

int-a8.jpg

int-a9.jpg

int-b10.jpg

int-b11.jpg

mat.jpg

Passenger side could be windshield, cowl leak, or (ugh!) heater core leak.

So, these are a beast to swap heater cores? That's a joy to look forward to. :doh: There is no smell of coolant, and I am quite familiar with that smell thanks to my other cars. :(

If it is the windshield leaking, is it a matter of pulling the trim and putting some sealer all the way around? Is the cowl leak spot fairly easy to get to and fix?

I have another question. Is it safe to reuse seatbelt bolts? Is any special care required while reinstalling them?

And before I forget... I LOVE MY COMANCHE. Even during these "bad times." :D

Before you put the carpet back in, use Petes idea of sprinkling some baby powder around on the floor and hit the truck with the hose to see where the leak is. Yes you can reuse seatbelt bolts

oh, by the way, I hate you :fs1: my floor only has about half of it left

Before you put the carpet back in, use Petes idea of sprinkling some baby powder around on the floor and hit the truck with the hose to see where the leak is. Yes you can reuse seatbelt bolts

oh, by the way, I hate you :fs1: my floor only has about half of it left

Thanks for the help! I had read a reference to baby powder in the other thread, and I wondered what that was about.

Hate is such a strong word. :D I hope you get your floors fixed with relative ease. Had I pulled the carpet back to find that, I think I'd puked. :(

• 2 weeks later...

i've been sidetracked from the truck the last week. We had a rain a few nights ago, and I did remember to look inside. I have a leak towards the front. Then I had one of those embarrassing "duh" moments. Yep, I remembered one of the previous owners had left caulk residue on the windshield trim on the lower passenger side corner.

What is the correct way to pull the windshield trim without damaging it? I imagine I will get that off then squirt water directly in that area and see if it is a direct leak. I might as well inspect it all the way around, too.

What is the correct way to pull the windshield trim without damaging it? I imagine I will get that off then squirt water directly in that area and see if it is a direct leak. I might as well inspect it all the way around, too.

Pick up a tool like this one -

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/ ... ml?Origin=

Or like this -

http://www.crlaurence.com/productimages ... _14133.gif

You slide the tool on the glass, with the pointed tip under the trim, and slide the tool in both directions, and that will "pop" the plastic clips that hold the metal trim to the windshield/body.

You can also reuse the clips when your ready to re-install the trim.

The clips look like this-

http://www.crlaurence.com/productimages ... 1_5563.gif

And if you add an additional "caulking" use a good grade Urethane sealant.

Heck, your floors look good! I have seen way worse on my due to the fact the mat has been torn for several years and I have tried to dilligently ignore it for as long as possible.

It was rather relieved when I got the padding and carpet out. I've got enough mess to fix elsewhere for this to have turned into something huge. :(

Pick up a tool like this one -

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/ ... ml?Origin=

Or like this -

http://www.crlaurence.com/productimages ... _14133.gif

You slide the tool on the glass, with the pointed tip under the trim, and slide the tool in both directions, and that will "pop" the plastic clips that hold the metal trim to the windshield/body.

You can also reuse the clips when your ready to re-install the trim.

The clips look like this-

http://www.crlaurence.com/productimages ... 1_5563.gif

And if you add an additional "caulking" use a good grade Urethane sealant.

Thank you for the help! I had no idea plastic clips were under there. I may try to use a paint scraper with a similar shape, then stop if I am not comfortable with it. Thanks for the urethane recommendation.

• 2 years later...

:eek:

Wow! If my floors looked that good I'd be in 7th heaven!

On my 90, I have a leak at the top of the non sliding rear window, and another on the right side front, fills the footwell up , pretty sure it is coming thru the cowl area, had the cowl vent off and running water to check drains, found it WAS draining- into the footwell.

My thought is that the fact you have carpet instead of the rubber mat has helped save your floors!

our floors rot because water leaks in from any number of locations (windshield, firewall, door, etc) and gets underneath the carpet/rubber mat. the carpet actually contributes because the water can't evaporate. :(