92 2.5 Power Upgrades

Hey! Newbie here. I have a 92 Comanche 2WD, AX5 5 spd, 4.11 gears with the 2.5 liter Chrysler MPFI. Could some people tell me some power upgrades that I could do to the little motor? It is currently 100% stock. It runs fine, but I am used to driving my 91 Comanche Eliminator 4x4 with a 4.0 HO and AW4 with 3.55's and....my 91 would eat it alive......even with its high mileage....

I'm not currently interested in doing a swap for a 4.0, soo...what are some things I could do to improve the power of the 92 2.5 without sacrificing too much gas mileage, or maybe even improving mileage a little?

Thanks!!!!!!!

9192comanche

Keeping the tires on the smallish side will help keep the engine in its power band (meaning that if you added bigger tires, the engine will seem more sluggish).

On a 92 2.5, you might want to look into a 4.0L throttle body swap. I think your engine is new enough to be able to do that. Maybe bigger fuel injectors would help.

Also, make sure there's nothing wrong with your truck, like a bad air or fuel filter, or a clogged cat.

I'm planning on a 4.0 TB and electric fan swap after I get my 2.5 rebuilt. I'm on 225/70/15 with 3.55's. Will have to make do until I can afford to swap in 4.10's. x2 on the camshaft however you will probably need to get a custom ground one. I've yet to run across any aftermarkets cams for the 2.5. Anyways my local shop said $60 for custom regrind so I'm gonna go with whatever he says. I'll trust any machinist that owns a jeep :D

Not to hijack the post but no. It was a 2wd with the AX-4 and a dana 35 3.55 rear. I got a complete matching non-vacuum dana 30 for $30 which I couldn't pass up. Planning on putting an AX-5 in since I already got a rebuilt 231 21spline for $40. Otherwise I'd swap to the AX-15 and an external slave.

A company called Accelerated Motion has cam kits. They offer a range of cams depending on what you need. Website is http://www.amotion.com/ and apparently they are closed till april of next year! Sorry!

Edit: Its been a while since Ive been to this site, and I no longer see the 4cyl cams listed, but I did write down the Part number back when I did find it. It is PN 04421-20710. Maybe they still have stuff?