Whats this worth?

mnkyboy

I made this for my truck and have been thinking of making more for MJs/XJs in a couple styles then maybe offering some other accessories later.

What i want to know is what are they worth?

I'm trying to get an idea of what someone might pay for one,Ive looked online and the prices vary alot.

i like it. people pay a lot for these things. i haven't looked around at prices, but i'd say at least 250 -300 minimum. i'd like to see it tied into the frame at another point, maybe a bracket that picks up under the sway bar frame mounts, just me though

there 2 more brackets that you can't see in the pics, they run across the frame rails and tie both sides of the frame rails to the bumper.

my brother who is 300lbs tried to move the bumper and couldnt,its actually mounted as well or better then my tow reciever in the back.

there 2 more brackets that you can't see in the pics, they run across the frame rails and tie both sides of the frame rails to the bumper.

my brother who is 300lbs tried to move the bumper and couldnt,its actually mounted as well or better then my tow reciever in the back.

in that case, i think its a good unit.

it's not that. they need to tie further BACK on the frame rail.

consider it this way...the front two bolts for the stock bumper are just through sheet metal, leaving one bolt in a "decent" spot.

you can make brackets for the sheet metal piece but it's still not a tow point.

however, you can make brackets that go back farther on the frame through the next center hole, and just put one long bolt through it, and be set.

I've seen bumpers that only tie through those points get ripped right off while making a recovery...and that's not fun much less being safe.

that is a good idea,i will have to change the brackets.

this is why i built myself one first.

look at the hi country brackets for xj/mj front tow points. i like them, they tie into the sides, and also pick up the 4 bolt holes for the sway bar frame mounts.

You guys should see the factory plow mounts.... They are actually 3/8"-1/4" Steel, and go all the way past the sway bar. They tie the factory bumper holes into a solid piece of flat stock. I was contemplating re-making mine(they are bent) and then in the summer, I could leave the brackets on, take off the plow stuff and just bolt on a beefy front bumper...

Would anyone be interested in a picture of the plow brackets? I have them off and sitting around now...

Rob L.

My mounts are 3/8" plate. with an angled bracket that bolts accross the front of the frame rail that also captures the thin front frame mounting tab.

I think JeepcoMJ is right though. my bracket is probably ok for just a bumper but since i have the tow points i need to tie it in at the through holes on the frame rail.

I just need to take the bumper off and add another piece to the bracket,later ones will be one piece.

My mounts are 3/8" plate. with an angled bracket that bolts accross the front of the frame rail that also captures the thin front frame mounting tab.

I think JeepcoMJ is right though. my bracket is probably ok for just a bumper but since i have the tow points i need to tie it in at the through holes on the frame rail.

I just need to take the bumper off and add another piece to the bracket,later ones will be one piece.

you would save time by just purchasing the plates from aj's offroad armor. they're $60 each and are fantastic mounts, all laser cut. at $60 each SHIPPED you can save time and also money because you won't have any scrap left over from mounts, and you don't have to template the holes. then just build your bumper off of them. IIRC they also tie into the steering box bolts on the driver's side of the frame rail. this mount would easily add $100 to what the bumper is worth

link to mounts

http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.net/Laser_cut.html

picture of mounts

I haven't purchased from him but he's very successful over on naxja and all of his customers are satisfied. just a suggestion....save you time, but you keep your cost the same so profits would be good.

BTW, for a bumper like that, with add-ons like light tabs where people want them, I would ask around $450 plus shipping. your material costs are probably around $175 plus time. you'd still make a decent profit.

those might be an option,they look like mine except they have the back part i should have put on. so i could build off them the same as mine.

since we plan on eventually doing accessories for other makes and models it would be good if we could produce them ourselves.

but I will have to see what the cost difference is going with the prefabbed ones.

We were kinda guessing around $500 for this bumper so $450 would be in the same ballpark as what we were thinking.

There are actually 2 holes pretty far back on the frame (past the sway bar a little ways) that are designed for the factory plow and tow hook brackets. These are what most of the reputable aftermarket bumpers use to make it a good tow point. Also, since they are along the way, many of the aftermarket winch/offroad bumpers use the 3 steering box bolts on the Drivers side to tie it in more as well; but the factory brackets do not tie into the steering box bolts, and the steering box tie in might be a little bit overkill, but that's good for an offroad recovery point.

I'm gonna run the brackets back to the second smaller hole, I'm not sure why i didnt in the first place. I'm playing with the idea of welding on a piece of tube to lock into the larger hole but I'm not sure if its necessary.

I'm also thinking about making it so it doesnt interfere with the steering box at all since the passenger side won't have bolts there anyway.

I'm glad i posted this thread you guys have given me some good input.

having it tie into the steering box bolts is a GOOD thing.

our frame rails are notoriously week right behind the steering box bolts....they tend to break (in half) or crack without any reinforcement. that's greatly increased by lift/tires. having the steering box bolt through there would be wonderful and make them worth a little extra.