Kosmic Krome

smithe1811

I was thinking about doing my rollbar, rear bumper and some other little odds and ends. so by shiney black, do you mean painting it black, clearing it, then kroming it? because sometime in the not so distant future my whole truck is getting por-15'd before i paint it.

I was thinking about doing my rollbar, rear bumper and some other little odds and ends. so by shiney black, do you mean painting it black, clearing it, then kroming it? because sometime in the not so distant future my whole truck is getting por-15'd before i paint it.

The whole truck? as in body panels?

In the past, I've had a tough time scuffing the POR-15 for paint. It can be done, but I've had a hard time getting it to sand evenly. And just painting over it won't work, as nothing will really adhere to the POR-15.

Maybe someone else has tried it and found a way to use POR15 as a primer...I would be interested in this aswell.

yup, the whole thing in por-15. i saw they had a product in their magazine that is for etching the por-15 so you can prime and paint itm I'm going to get a small amount first to test with to make sure it works as advertised.

and as for having the parts actually chromed, that price would well exceed the price of buying a couple of cans of the kosmic krome. they woud have to polish the rollbar first until it almost mirrored, then clean it, coat it with copper and dip it in the chrome and give it some current. i think just the polishing alone of the whole rollbar would drive the cost up pretty high.

Seeing as our trucks tend to rust from the inside out, PORing the body would be waaaaaay overkill and may not actually prevent anything from happening. :(

I'm talking about taking the bed off and removing the interior and por-15 ing everything, it may be excessive yes, but i want my truck to last a looooong time, i can always replace the engine/drivetrain if that goes, but if the truck rotts, then I'm effed. plus if i was going to paint it anyway, why not use something a little better than regular paint. just my opinion i guess :thumbsup:

I could see PORing the floorboards and the inside of the bedsides where the rust typically starts, but you won't be able to get at the inside of the cab, rockers or frame. If nothing else, our trucks are very reliable with where they start rotting. I would hit the important spots, the underside and most of the frame, and then just paint the exterior like normal. The POR won't really be preventing anything there because that's not where it typically starts (unless the paint has been damaged). Be sure not to plug any of the drain holes, or you could do more harm than good.

Since my 88 is already rotted beyond reasonable repair, I bought myself a backup truck (the gutted but rust free 89 hanging out at my parents' place in Georgia) :D