Muffler Toast but now more power!

Well my OEM muffler started rattling and then started to sound like a duck farting in water. Not a big deal I ordered a Walker OEM replacement 21385 for the 91-92 4.0. In all this fun though I noticed a fairly large power increase with the busted muffler. The RPM's go up must faster, better throttle response. When the muffler was quiet I had to apply a lot more throttle to get the RPM's to move up, I guess my question is when I put the OEM Walker back in will I lose power? :dunce:

if the old one was plugged the new one will perform better but probably no as well as no muffler. if you want to keep your new found power you might look into a performance muffler,OEMs are designed to be quiet and not some much for power.

i have a flowmaster on my MJ (2.5L TBI 4spd) with no CAT and i can outrun my brothers 95YJ (2.5L MPFI 5spd) with stock exhaust.

age is just a number,your never to old for loud exhaust :cheers: my rascal scooters gonna have wheelie bars and nitrous jamminz.gif

really if done right a performance exhaust can have a nice sound to it without sounding obnoxious.

try to do a longer glasspack it will have the benifit of straight flowthrough design but when your at WOT it will be quiet i had a 36" long cherry bomb and my jeep sounded great at a stop or just driving but i like the sound the best when you drop the hammer down.

try to do a longer glasspack it will have the benifit of straight flowthrough design but when your at WOT it will be quiet i had a 36" long cherry bomb and my jeep sounded great at a stop or just driving but i like the sound the best when you drop the hammer down.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

I'm with you Joe - can't stand a LOUD exhaust. I went thru about three mufflers before I found the one I liked, a Walker Sound FX with dual outlets. Even that was too loud, so I replaced the cat with a cherry bomb. Perfect! I tried a Flowmaster 50 series, but with the headers it was way loud and droned so bad at around 2200 RPM it would rattle your teeth out. Also tried a Dynomax that was better but still droned badly.

I put a cherrybomb turbo muffler on my Ford EXP before i turboed it,with a 4-2-1 header and the factory cat it sounded pretty good. it was fairly quiet but gave the little four cyl a nice low growl when you stepped on the gas.

kinda sounded like a nicely tuned V6

They cherry bomb option sounds intriguing because this new power is really giving me the power I expected before I bought the truck. The only mods I have are the 62 MM TB, and an AirRaid filter, but what a ride! Don, I don't think California would allow me to replace the cat with a cherry bomb. I can't begin to imagine the power you have with all this and the 4.6L :bowdown:

well theres were your power is coming from. the TB and intake have been just sitting there waiting for you to finish the job. can't shove more air in the engine if you can't get anymore out the other end.

they do sell high flow cat's that should be legal in california but they are expensive,I'm thinking just a turbo muffler of some sort is gonna give you a good balance of quiet and performance.

They cherry bomb option sounds intriguing because this new power is really giving me the power I expected before I bought the truck. The only mods I have are the 62 MM TB, and an AirRaid filter, but what a ride! Don, I don't think California would allow me to replace the cat with a cherry bomb. I can't begin to imagine the power you have with all this and the 4.6L :bowdown:

Ah yes, the Cali Nazis. :roll: Forgot about them...........

the walker won't stay long,you have felt the power so when you drive with the walker its gonna irritate you. :eek: and eventually you won't be able to take it anymore and buy a better muffler. :thumbsup:

Gibson makes a good quiet performance muffler. I do not know if they have anything MJ specific. I put one on my 96' Blazer because I wanted better flow but hated the way a 4.3 sounds with a loud muffler.