oil leaking :(

Hi all..back again for help lol. Anyway, I have been having some problems with oil, leaking. First of all oil was leaking out of the dipstick and going everywhere..I did a little research and found that something might be blocked in the crank case vent tubes...so here's a pic...I cannot find out what the name of this thing is lol..so just take a look.

Ok so that thing..Anyway I found out it was clogged...so I rigged up a system, I had cut a sprinkler tube to fit in the grommet and attached the hose, the oil stopped leaking out of the dipstick. I ran it like that for a few days, then my engine started smoking..oil had leaked everywhere! It shot out of the back hole in the valve cover (since the plastic tube had fallen off) and out of the dipstick..So now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I rigged up another tube system but it still leaks out of the dipstick..Any suggestions??

Thanks

Salt

There have been several threads on here adressing this problem on the 4.0, but the 2.5 is very similar. You may have a problem of the valve cover itself getting clogged too. I have an 87 2.5 and it doesnt have that huge plastic thing on the valve cover. Mine has this problem too, but not to the extent your does. I have yet to try to fix mine, but I need to do something soon.

One thing you could do, is go to the junkyard and find the newest 2.5 cherokee you can find, pull its valve cover and COMPLETE crankcase ventilation system, and maybe even the airbox assembly, and all vacuum control hoses. Make note of where everything attaches and swap the system into your truck with a new valve cover gasket for the year 2.5 you got the valve cover from. You should be able to do this fairly cheaply if you go to a picknpull.

Another thing that may be wrong is that you may have a hole in one of your pistons, and nothing you do will help this problem.

Or you could rig up a breather assy with a vented jar or whatever. Just search the same problem on the 4.0 and you should find any number of backyard fixes.

I see in one of the pics, you also have a PCV valve in the front port of the valve cover. Check to see that it is working as well. Remove it and shake it, if it rattles easilly, it should be OK. And make sure it is routed correctly for proper operation.

To many of the guys here on the board, the only way to fix anything wrong with a 2.5 is to swap in a 4.0, Please don't get put down if you don't have any responses within a few hours of posting. Eventually we all get around to going through the threads... so be patient. Hopefully someone else will ring in on this subject as well!

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

There have been several threads on here adressing this problem on the 4.0, but the 2.5 is very similar. You may have a problem of the valve cover itself getting clogged too. I have an 87 2.5 and it doesnt have that huge plastic thing on the valve cover. Mine has this problem too, but not to the extent your does. I have yet to try to fix mine, but I need to do something soon.

One thing you could do, is go to the junkyard and find the newest 2.5 cherokee you can find, pull its valve cover and COMPLETE crankcase ventilation system, and maybe even the airbox assembly, and all vacuum control hoses. Make note of where everything attaches and swap the system into your truck with a new valve cover gasket for the year 2.5 you got the valve cover from. You should be able to do this fairly cheaply if you go to a picknpull.

Another thing that may be wrong is that you may have a hole in one of your pistons, and nothing you do will help this problem.

Or you could rig up a breather assy with a vented jar or whatever. Just search the same problem on the 4.0 and you should find any number of backyard fixes.

I see in one of the pics, you also have a PCV valve in the front port of the valve cover. Check to see that it is working as well. Remove it and shake it, if it rattles easilly, it should be OK. And make sure it is routed correctly for proper operation.

To many of the guys here on the board, the only way to fix anything wrong with a 2.5 is to swap in a 4.0, Please don't get put down if you don't have any responses within a few hours of posting. Eventually we all get around to going through the threads... so be patient. Hopefully someone else will ring in on this subject as well!

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Thanks, the Valve cover is new only been on for a few weeks. The previous owner has a k&n cone filter on there..kinda rigged. I still have the air box and everything. Probably gonna swap it back in. The PCV valve does rattle real easy.

Ok just to be clear...oil isnt suppose to come out in large portion on exhaust(back of the valve cover) for the crankcase vent system right? I could for now just rig up a tube to catch the oil...at least I can drive it..

I cleaned the hose and the rubber grommet on the back of the valve cover on mine (4.0 with 180,000 miles) and eliminated about 60% of the oil coming out from blowby . Later I changed my oil and added a large can of Restore (the V8 sized can) and ELIMINATED the rest of the oil coming out from blowby within the first 300 miles!!! :bowdown:

I'm very skeptical about most additives, but I'll tell you what, this stuff works as advertised. I've used it for years.

L_Engine_Restore.jpg

How well does the engine run? does it smoke?

alot of times you get this due to blowby,if your cyl's are loosing pressure into the crank case it will cause what you experiencing.

I don't see it much but you can also cause this by having way too much oil in the engine.

You might check compression and if you have the tools a leak down test would be good too.

this is good to do anyway as it will help to show the condition of the engine.

i usually do compression test and leakdown first just to see were the engines at,this will either confirm or rule out alot of things.

thanks for all the help guys..Next time I do a oil change i'll put some of that restore in it. When I get a chance I'll do a compression test. Here is what I did so far..I think I did everything right, ran a tube from the rear vent to a 2litre bottle to catch the oil for now so it don't leak on the engine and smoke. I put a breather where the PCV valve was. I capped off all the lines for the PCV valve system so instead of going back to the throttle body and getting burned the air just vents through the breather.

years ago i worked at an import shop,the shop owner had a new toyota solara with the 3.0L V6 he had put a TRD supercharger on. it went pretty fast,so he had a smaller pulley made and it went faster,he did this 3 or 4 times,I kept reminding him that his cast pistons won't live long but he disagreed. finally he had the thing running a little over 10PSI and it started doing exactly what your MJ is doing so he did pretty much the same thing you did.

It ran ok other then the oil blowing everywhere,so he drove it awhile like that. eventually he decided to open the engine up,we found 3 pistons with broken ring lands, the car had about 30,000 miles on it.

your nifty bottle made me think of that so i thought i would share it.

The engine is supposed to be sucking the fumes out through that hole with the breather filter.

ok..I put the PCV valve back on, thanks lol :D I don't know to much about engines (yet). This is just a temp fix. I'm probably going to end up swapping a 4.0 in it, my uncles neighbor helped him swap in an engine on his Wagoner...so I'll ask him for help :rotfl2:

on 86's the rear line off the valve cover should just go to the air box

the front one goes from the pvc to the throttlebody and a second line from the pvc goes to the pvc canister

it should go to the first fitting on the canister and also T's off to the third fitting on the canister.

on 87+ the rear goes to the airbox and the front one is an orifice that just goes straight to the TB

this is according to my haynes manual,which is funny because it says my truck is backwards.