Rear main seal......

yes drain the oil first unless you wanna work with it.

depending on if yours is auto or manual

mine was auto so you have to take down the oil pan

I'm pretty sure u have to pull the tranny off mabe, mabe not i did just incase.

if so scrap all the gasket off from around the bottom of the engine,

buy a new gasket.

the piece ur rear main seal sits in do not drop it or get any scars in it.

there should be two bolts that hold it up.

in your owners manual it tells u how many pounds of pressure those

bolts need i think its 80lbs.

make sure you put every bolt back in haha.

its not to hard, it took me like 3days because i had

to keep running back to my house for tools and bolts that are

stiped are a pain. if i can think of more ill post.

Make sure you use a BRASS punch to remove the upper half of the seal. You don't want to damage the crank or block.

Removing this can be the most frustrating part of the job. I've done a couple that came right out, but usually it's a PITA to get it started.

As mentioned, make sure you keep all the bolts in order, especially the ones for the rear bearing cap (including the cap itself).

A plastic punch works good too.

No matter how long it sits, the engine will still drip oil on you. :ack: Be prepared and wear eye/ear protection.

Let the silicone sit and cure before firing up the truck.

Take your time and make sure you won't need the truck the following day. Plenty can go wrong that might require a trip to the always-closed-when-you-need-it-most parts store.

As far as I know, all 4.0s can have the RMS replaced without removing the transmissions. 2.5Ls have a one-piece seal that requires tranny removal.

Am I nuts here, or I thought that the Mopar gasket was the better way to go on the oil pan. IIRC it was a one piece, unlike the parts store ones that came in parts, and required silicone. I remember taking a one-piece gasket out of a mopar box, and using no goo... :dunno:

Rob L.

Am I nuts here, or I thought that the Mopar gasket was the better way to go on the oil pan. IIRC it was a one piece, unlike the parts store ones that came in parts, and required silicone. I remember taking a one-piece gasket out of a mopar box, and using no goo... :dunno:

Rob L.

You can get the one-piece gasket aftermarket, too. Chrysler started using it in 1994 or 1995, so regardless of what year your MJ or engine is, just order a pan gasket for a 95 XJ 4.0L.

I just did mine a few weeks ago, and I used the molded rubber pan gasket while I was in there. I think it was like $22 at vatozone. I'm glad I did, because my oil pickup is sucking air, so I need to get back in there and replace it!