sound system

does it still have the wiring? a lot of the new cars that come with the radio delete option still have all the wiring and speakers but just don't come with a head unit. if that is the case then you should be able to put any aftermarket radio with a wiring adapter and be on your way. if you need to add speakers then you will have to do that.

if for some reason when they made your truck they decided to take the time to remove all the wiring from the harness, which i don't see as being very likely, then you will have to run all new wires which is not hard.

if the wiring isnt there, you only need 3 wires for a radio to work. power, ignition, and ground. run speaker wire to speakers and done. its not hard at all, my ranger came with the radio delete option and the wires werent there...

My 87 is the same way, though the connector for the radio is there in the dash behind the blockoff plate. The fuse for it is in the fuse box too. I assume thee wires for the speakers are there too, though not run into the doors. I think the wires for the Bpillar speakers are there too. You should just have to buy an adapter connector to go from the factory connector to change to whatever stereo youre going to hook up, and then plug into the speaker wires that already exist. If you find unused connectors at the bottoms of the a-pillars just make sure the color coding is right for your model year, or do a continuity test back to the stereo connector, I hope this helps!

factory wiring should be in place for everything I am almost certain. then it's how much do you want to spend. there are lots of ways to get some really good sound for very little money in that cab.

I am all ears. I have factory radio and speakers and would love to improve on them wo spend too many bucks!

factory wiring should be in place for everything I am almost certain. then it's how much do you want to spend. there are lots of ways to get some really good sound for very little money in that cab.

I am all ears. I have factory radio and speakers and would love to improve on them wo spend too many bucks!

I'm no expert, this is just what worked for me. phenry has a similar setup with a 4900 series deck, and i believe he is running 4 speakers and the sub. goblazers also has a similar setup with a 4700 series deck running 4 speakers and no sub. we all got the deck off of ebay or craigslist for well under $100. speakers you've got even more options. in addition to ebay etc., wal-mart/target/kmart has off-brand speakers for the door for $30+ and even pioneers for $40-45 usually. For the sub you also have lots of options. 8" dual voice coil bazookas are easier to come by than 6" if you don't mind giving up a little more space, or you can always buy a dual voice coil (or single if it's rated for 2 ohms) component sub and build or buy a box for it.

Again, this is just one way to get what you want and I'm sure there are other brand decks/speakers/subs with similar capabilities. I've been out of the car stereo loop for awhile and with a little research found this to be a super flexible and capable setup. If you go with the pioneer deck and want the capability to run the sub off the deck (i.e. no extra amp), it needs to be a 3000 series or higher deck. To keep the cost down it just takes a little patience for the right deal to come along. If you are checking out a deck, you can confirm it's specs at either crutchfield.com or pioneerelectronics.com. And if you get a used deck and it doesn't come with the manual, you can download from pioneer. More info in this thread link below, page 3. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12613&p=128693&hilit=pioneer#p128693