Track bar

I am in the middle of the lift/4wd conversion on my 91 Mj and i have a question about the track bar. I am getting an adjustable RE unit from a friend but it won't be for a little while. i did my axle swap and front lift (except track bar) and i want to get it in to the spring shop to get it leveled up this weekend. Can i use my old track bar or will it toatally screw up everything, is there any way of fudging something to get it to work with my 4 inch lift to get it to the spring shop and back?

thanks in advance

W

:Canadaflag:

I am in the middle of the lift/4wd conversion on my 91 Mj and i have a question about the track bar. I am getting an adjustable RE unit from a friend but it won't be for a little while. i did my axle swap and front lift (except track bar) and i want to get it in to the spring shop to get it leveled up this weekend. Can i use my old track bar or will it toatally screw up everything, is there any way of fudging something to get it to work with my 4 inch lift to get it to the spring shop and back?

thanks in advance

W

Get it leveled out in the spring shop? You've lost me...

How big is the lift your installing? i'd say if it was over 3" your gonna run into some problems. And again, depending on the size of the lift you might need a track bar drop bracket (RE makes one). Don't drive without one installed and properly adjusted though

when i say leveled up.... i mean lift the rear... i am having springs made up , the front is done with the exception of the track bar. i lifted it 4 inches and i need something temporary until i get my adjustable bar. i won't be driving to work everyday with it but i want it to be safe to make a trip to and from the spring shop

any ideas?

W

Just in case anyone reading this doesn't already know, if your track bar fails, you lose your steering. :eek: :driving:

well the steering will still work....but u won't turn it'll just shove the body side to side...lol the only reason i know that is cuz i turned the steering wheel back and forth before i installed the trac bar. while sitting still it was kinda funny but if moving would totally suck and would crash!!!!!!!

At 4" of lift the stock track bar will pull the axle off-center about an inch to the driver's side of the chassis. You can drive it like that, but it'll look a bit odd and makes for an "interesting" wheel alignment.

You can get most of the offset back by drilling a new hole in the axle bracket, but the metal only allows you to move the hole about 5/8" so it isn't enough to re-center the axle at 4" of lift. If you go this route, drill carefully with the correct size drill. If you make the hole oversize, the track bar bolt can move around and it makes for very sloppy steering. My '88 MJ was like that when I bought it -- it's amazing how much slop you get in the steering from just a tiny bit of movement in a couple of places in the steering linage.

Thanks everyone.... i figured it would just pull the axle off to one side. i don't want to drill out the bracket as i am going to be using it for my adjustable unit when i get it. it looks like i won't have enough time to get the truck over to the spring shop tomorrow anyway. hopefully i get the new track bar monday or tuesday so i can get the springs done up along with an alignment.

Thanks again to everyone that replied

W