Skid plates???

I dunno. they're not too horrible. But they get in the way a little. personal choice I guess.

But the question was where to get one. So I'd say your local U-pull, Pick-a-part, Pull-a-part, or just your favorite junkyard. They are pretty common on XJs.

Uh, the factory one blows...

I cut 'em off, too much hassel to undo the bolts.

why do they suck so much? they weak or get in the way?

Weak, get in the way, don't actually protect anything (trust me, if you hit a rock hard enough to bend your tie rod, the skid will be blown away no problemo).

Oh, it's absolutely annoying to do ANY front end maintenace with it on. Even a lube job is hard.

I own a couple of stock Cherokees with the factory front skid. It isn't weak, it doesn't particularly bother me when doing a lube job, and it seems to be pretty well designed to protect a STOCK front suspension/steering setup.

It was NOT designed for a lifted vehicle, and after about 2" of lift it'll be pretty much useless unless you shim down all the mounting points.

It looks like a skid plate is not for me because they sound like more hassle than they are worth. Thanks guys.

It's easy to build a splash gaurd for your alt and things out of sheet metal. I started with a cardboard template and then cut it out of the sheet. (measure once and cut twice? Or is that backwards ;) ) Super easy to take off too (perfect for lazy jeep owners, like me) Although I have to admit I don't run it any more, I just avoid mud for the most part.

IMG_0432r.jpg

IMG_0431r.jpg

:chillin: