Loss of Power

1987 2.5L

Dramatic loss of power, all the basics have been checked and are fine. New plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil, etc. My temp gauge will light up randomly at idle so i replacing the thermostat today. Could that possibly contribute to the loss of power? Regardless, and common issues i should look into?

Thanks,

Skip

x2 on the bad cat. I assume you still have sniffer tests in your area? Might be a good idea to just replace the 20 year old cat anyway.

Can you watch your fuel injector while someone revs the engine? Maybe it's clogged and just dribbling out gas.

x2 on the bad cat. I assume you still have sniffer tests in your area? Might be a good idea to just replace the 20 year old cat anyway.

Can you watch your fuel injector while someone revs the engine? Maybe it's clogged and just dribbling out gas.

Ok, I just passed smog about a month ago only having to replace the O2 but maybe the cat went bad already....Murphy's law. I will look into the injector as well. Thanks guys.

There are more than one kind of failure for a cat, like: slipping performance, clogging from upstream junk, and internal collapsing. When you smack it does it sound like there's anything loose inside?

A failing O2 sensor often results in a very rich operating condition, which in turn kills catalytic converters rather quickly.

I know that i won't pass smog and it is not environmentally friendly but if i run the truck without that cat to diagnose if that is the problem will i damage anything else?