My first MJ

JeffK

New member, like to take a moment to say hello to everyone. I'm a longtime Cherokee owner, but I'm brand new to the Comanches. I've been looking on and off for several months and just yesterday I finally found one. It's a 1988 Pioneer, SWB 4X4. 4.0L I6, AX-15 5-speed, NP 231 t-case, Dana 30/35. The paints faded and the interior is a little rough, but I think it's a worthwhile project.

Yesterday afternoon:

I've pretty stoked about it (even if my wife's not). :shake:

She looks nice and clean. :thumbsup:

You sure it's got an AX-15? 88s came from the factory with a BA 10/5.

I'm quoting the previous owner. I'm familiar with everything except the manual trans, all my XJs were auto. How do you tell the difference?

I'm quoting the previous owner. I'm familiar with everything except the manual trans, all my XJs were auto. How do you tell the difference?

The Peugeot case splits in half with a left and right side and so you'll see a seam of bolt running along the top and bottom. The AX-15 splits into a front and rear half and has a big rign of metal joining them together.

Peugeot on the right:

Looks like a Peugeot to me. Is that good or bad?

Most folks say the Peugeot is pretty bad. My 1st XJ (I bought it new in 1988) had one though & I never had any problems in the 180,000+ miles I had it. Of course I do know how to shift........... :rotf:

Most folks say the Peugeot is pretty bad. My 1st XJ (I bought it new in 1988) had one though & I never had any problems in the 180,000+ miles I had it. Of course I do know how to shift........... :rotf:

Yeah I do too, but did the previous 2 owners? :???:

Doesn't really matter much if you shift right or not (although abusing it will likely cause failure to happen sooner). The Peugeot is like the Dana 35, it'll break whenever it feels like it and sometimes for no good reason. Yours might last forever. Or it could blow a hole out the side tomorrow. :dunno: Mine went for about 180k and then self destructed (blew a hole out the side) while simply tooling along at 65mph on the freeway. :fs1: It's best to read up on the AX-15 swap and at least be mentally prepared for the day it does die. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Pete M,

One question though: I plan to use a newer model front differential, and I am completely unfamiliar with the current vacuum disconnect system that's on it. By switching out the front diff will the transfer case I have still work or should I look for both an AX15 and non Vacuum t-case?

Tentative plans:

1. AX15/new clutch.

2. SYE From my old XJ.

3. Lift SOA rear/5" springs in front with control arms.

4. Axles ('99 D35 Front and a '00 8.25 29 spine rear from my old XJ) and rear drive shaft.

5. ZJ tie rods and sway bar remaining suspension bushings.

6. Newer model master cylinder and booster.

7. 16" black steelies and 265/75R16 tires (from the old XJ).

8. 97 front end and possibly doors

9. 97-01 ARB front bumper (from my old XJ again) and a new winch