MJ Dana 44 Swap?

Guy down the road pulled his '87 MJ out of the weeds and put a for sale sign on it. My quick study: 155K, SWB, AW4, Rusted through and through, tan buckets, winch, and a DANA 44!!!! He wants $250 for the truck and $250 for the winch. Not bad, I would probably not take the winch unless he is willing to do a really good package deal.... $300. Any chance this thing would have the metric ton springs?

What is involved in swapping the D44 into a rig with the D35? Are the U-Joints any different? Will the drive shaft length be an issue?

If I end up getting this thing for the axle I'll part it out or use as a farm truck with my current D35 installed.

It should be a straightforward swap for you.

Glad to hear it.

Factory installed winch??

I do not think so. It has some sort of winch bumper. Winch looks well used and aged.

I think I will head over tomorrow and talk to him with some cash ready for the truck.

From front to back of the diff.. the dana 44 is longer than the dana 35, so you would need to shorten your rear drive shaft, but for less than a $100 to shorten the drive shaft, it's a worthwhile swap!

The cost of $250 for the truck is about the same price as buying that dana 44 so it sounds like a GoodBuy to me jamminz.gif

All Metric Tons were longbeds. So unless someone swapped them in, then no, not likely.

It should be a straightforward swap for you.

not true.

I've had two short beds with m/t packs in them.

the springs are IDENTICAL between lwb and swb in length and mounting location, and Jeep was very inclined to let their buyers have what they wanted.

I swapped an MJ d44 into my 88 shortbead MJ and used the stock d35 shaft for a while - ran fine w/o any issues. The d35 shaft was very close to bottoming out (it never did while I had it) but I eventually had it shortened about an inch for a better fit - it cost me $119 dollars at a local shop.

:fs1: Went to offer the guy cash for the truck today and he had sold it a few hours before. Grrrr. These trucks are darn near impossible to find around here!

Maybe next time. Thanks for the 'how to's' for the D44 swap. Its only a matter of time ;)