Engine oil additives...

I used Seafoam to stop a lifter tick and it worked. That's all I've ever used. Is this stuff similar?

This is from there web site:

zMAX Power System

Product # 51002

12oz Fuel Formula, 12oz Engine Formula, 4oz Trans Formula, FREE 12oz Small Engine Formula

The unique ability of zMAX to soak into metal and reduce engine deposits results in:

Increased Gas Mileage (helps maintain gas mileage in newer cars, and helps improve or restore gas mileage in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits)

Improved Performance

Extended Engine Life

Reduced Emissions (helps maintain emissions in newer cars, and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits )

Increased Horsepower

This product may be used as a fuel additive both for gasoline and diesel fuels. When used as a diesel fuel additive, the following statement applies: This diesel fuel additive complies with the federal low sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles and nonroad engines.

FREE zMAX Small Engine Formula, that gives improved performance and extended life to your: Lawn Mowers, Generators, Chain Saws, Power Edgers, Power Trimmers, Leaf Blowers, Snowmobiles, Jet Skis, ATVs, Garden Tillers, Marine Engines. (Especially made for engines that are not used on a regular basis.) *see documentation in our Technical section.

Easy to Use

Simply pour zMAX into your fuel system (12oz.), your engine (12oz.), and transmission (4oz.) or have zMAX installed by your mechanic at your next oil change. The bottles are clearly marked.

zMAX does not replace your regular oil, and using zMAX will not overfill your normal oil level because it soaks into metal.

How often should you use zMAX?

The zMAX Power System treatment is recommended every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. By properly replenishing zMAX, your engine will receive nonstop protection.

For orders outside the United States and its territories, call 1-800-382-1858

zMAX will not void the manufacturer's warranty that comes with your vehicle.

CW, I'll be interested to see if you notice a difference. I first heard about this stuff on a morning radio show I listen to and they were pimping it. Checked it out and, like you, I was very curious about it, but I've never bought it.

Not cracking on you CW, but I used to go for the additive "gimmicks" like this and Slick 50 (among others), but I have found no need for them since I started using AMSOIL. I use the lubricants in everything, and occasionally put some AMSOIL fuel treatment in the tank. When AMSOIL is used properly, it can actually cost less than conventional oil, and it leaves no gunk or deposits to be worried about cleaning :smart: :thumbsup:

It is very likely that you will see improvements with zMax, as there are a lot of good additives out there that do make a difference, it's just unnecessary expense IMHO :cheers: .

Not cracking on you CW, but I used to go for the additive "gimmicks" like this and Slick 50 (among others), but I have found no need for them since I started using AMSOIL. I use the lubricants in everything, and occasionally put some AMSOIL fuel treatment in the tank. When AMSOIL is used properly, it can actually cost less than conventional oil, and it leaves no gunk or deposits to be worried about cleaning :smart: :thumbsup:

It is very likely that you will see improvements with zMax, as there are a lot of good additives out there that do make a difference, it's just unnecessary expense IMHO :cheers: .

Not at all!!! All opinions welcome, that's why I posted this!! :D :D

I have tried the slick 50 to years back with little to no return. Your spot on, there is so many gimmicks and scams going on it is not even funny. But this was a show, dedicated to this product or at least people who have shows putting it on and endorsing this product. IIRC the guys from two guys garage did it. They had many people and even the owner of the company very convincing...heck I forked over the $35!!! I have some tappet noise like all 4.0's. But I seem to have one or two really stubborn ones. They sure seem like they are getting momentarily oil starved. I'm hoping this product clears that up. Time will tell...

Thanks for all replies. I'm post up findings in a while..

CW

will (whowey) on the group is an amsoil dealer, be interested in what he thinks about it. I live by seafoam. When I worked at ford, adding seafoam to the truck on a diesel was actually a warranty repair for one of the concerns they would come in with. Sold me there. If they reccommend it, and it works like it did, i use it.

Rob L.

will (whowey) on the group is an amsoil dealer, be interested in what he thinks about it. I live by seafoam. When I worked at ford, adding seafoam to the truck on a diesel was actually a warranty repair for one of the concerns they would come in with. Sold me there. If they reccommend it, and it works like it did, i use it.

Rob L.

I am, and have been, an AMSOIL dealer for about 6-7 years now as well ;) .

Seafoam is good stuff for cleaning out deposits, but it is not intended for continuous use. It is great stuff, and I use it as well, but it will damage an engine if used too often. :cheers:

Not at all!!! All opinions welcome, that's why I posted this!! :D :D

I have tried the slick 50 to years back with little to no return. Your spot on, there is so many gimmicks and scams going on it is not even funny. But this was a show, dedicated to this product or at least people who have shows putting it on and endorsing this product. IIRC the guys from two guys garage did it. They had many people and even the owner of the company very convincing...heck I forked over the $35!!! I have some tappet noise like all 4.0's. But I seem to have one or two really stubborn ones. They sure seem like they are getting momentarily oil starved. I'm hoping this product clears that up. Time will tell...

Thanks for all replies. I'm post up findings in a while..

CW

I saw that show too. They had a piece of metal with a divot in it and put the zmax in the divot then heated up the metal and showed the zmax absorb into the metal.

Rob L.

I'm not to thrilled with any oil additives out there. The lack of control over their contents and inability to prove the claims with solid evidence keeps me from being able to get behind them. Seafoam is a good product, but it is meant as a cleaning agent for occasional use. It contains ALOT of high level distillates. Kerosene would be able to achieve much of the same effect.

And PLEASE don't get me started on Slick Advertising 50. The maker of their main effective ingredient (DuPont Chemical) has said repeatedly that Teflon was never intended for the environment inside and engine. They are basically the Sham Wow of additives... A whole lot of media hype.. not alot of effect. 'Hey, its made by DuPont.. DuPont makes good stuff, so you know its gotta be good'

EDIT===> Exactly what I am talking about....

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

Take a read down the page.. and you will see Zmax exposed as.... mineral oil with some food colouring in it. So yes it will do some of the things they claim. It will help reduce engine deposits.. just like any high distillate will do... say like seafoam, Marvel's Mystery Oil or good old fashioned Kerosene....

Marketing is what marketing is... a slick way to get you to buy their products...

Rob L.

I'm not to thrilled with any oil additives out there. The lack of control over their contents and inability to prove the claims with solid evidence keeps me from being able to get behind them. Seafoam is a good product, but it is meant as a cleaning agent for occasional use. It contains ALOT of high level distillates. Kerosene would be able to achieve much of the same effect.

And PLEASE don't get me started on Slick Advertising 50. The maker of their main effective ingredient (DuPont Chemical) has said repeatedly that Teflon was never intended for the environment inside and engine. They are basically the Sham Wow of additives... A whole lot of media hype.. not alot of effect. 'Hey, its made by DuPont.. DuPont makes good stuff, so you know its gotta be good'

EDIT===> Exactly what I am talking about....

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html

Take a read down the page.. and you will see Zmax exposed as.... mineral oil with some food colouring in it. So yes it will do some of the things they claim. It will help reduce engine deposits.. just like any high distillate will do... say like seafoam, Marvel's Mystery Oil or good old fashioned Kerosene....

Marketing is what marketing is... a slick way to get you to buy their products...

or you could just put 2oz. of gas in your oil, and do an oil change in 500 miles. I did that once, and it made it run smooth.

Well it won't hurt. but will it help? prolly not enough. think about this

How many 4.0 engines are there on the road with over 200K miles..a whole bunch right.

well you can bet that 99% of them have just have regular engine oil in them all there life and they last all those miles and more. you just need to change the oil and filter as recommended. you don't need any overpriced oil, if you choose to spend 6 bucks a quart or more for a boutique oil like redline or amsoil and others you will just be spending 2 to 3 times what you need to any oil that cost 3 times or more what the regular oils cost are just a rip off, you will never gain that much performance increase over the 2.50 qt oil in the 4.0 engine.

I run 10w30 BradPenn Racing oil and it cost me 3.50 per qt. it does hold up better than regular oil and it has a better film and you can tell on start up and hi rpm there is no piston slap. with just plain oil (any brand) there is noticeable piston slap in my engine. so that's why I use the BradPenn oil plus its the same oil I have used when it was the original Kendall gt oil years ago. it carries the correct rating for the 4.0 engine and contains all the ZDDP you may need if you rebuild. Now I also think you are fine using regular run of the mill oil that's just over 2.00 bucks a qt on sale. but for just and extra 1.50 you can have a much better oil. now if you spend 5-6.00 dollars or more per qt your again buying a name not more performance for the 4.0. no oil sold for that kinda jacked up price can prove to make your 4.0 last longer or run better then regular oil . they can't. that goes for any oil additive as well. that's my 2cent

are you a ventriloquist? you just talked out of both sides of your mouth LOL! here's my analogy: "anybody paying for premium gas is wasting money. premium doesn't give you any more performance. regular is fine. why spend the extra money on anything but regular gas. (pause) I use mid-grade. It definitely runs better than regular. So if you are using regular, for just a few bucks more, you can use mid-grade, but don't use premium, it's not worth it."

:huh???: :rotfl2:

Well you have your take? there is a point of diminishing returns . my point if not well typed is that (for me) paying a little extra for the oil I use does yield the benefit of an oil that supplies the specifications of my 89 year engine as far as the ZDDP. that's a benefit and performance for a small increase in price. but if I or anyone spent 3-4 or more times as much money on a boutique oil or oil additive it would not yield enough extra benefit or performance to justify the outrageous price. but I agree that if someone was to use just regular oil in there 100k or more 4.0 jeep engine they would achieve 98% of the performance that the extra 1.50 oil will. that's all. I'm not talking out both sides of my mouth?

and premium gas is not 3 times the cost of regular so your analogy does not match what I was saying about paying 3 times as much for overpriced oil. it wasn't to get a person like you in some kind of web argument. you may want to try out the Pirate 4x4 forums you will fit right in.

are you a ventriloquist? you just talked out of both sides of your mouth LOL! here's my analogy: "anybody paying for premium gas is wasting money. premium doesn't give you any more performance. regular is fine. why spend the extra money on anything but regular gas. (pause) I use mid-grade. It definitely runs better than regular. So if you are using regular, for just a few bucks more, you can use mid-grade, but don't use premium, it's not worth it."

:huh???: :rotfl2: