Best Dana35 fluid?

any gl 5 is fine for the axle. no need to get fancy, plane ole 80w90. in case you were considering synthetic, its actually been determined they don't disipate the heat as well, and some other factors that have made gear and locker manufacturers say not to use synthetic.

The reason that the the manufacturers are recommending dinos has nothing to do with heat. They are saying that the synthetics don't allow enough wear to for the gears (or lockers) to break in correctly.

this is true on break ins in axles, and engines as well, and i consider fairly common knowledge, i AM speaking of post break in, tests have shown, differentials specifically here, ran hotter while operating w/ synthetic oil. the synthetic oil lubricates slightly better, but tended to trap the heat in the molecules more than regular oil disipated heat better. i am by no means saying synthetic will do harm, but it is not the miracle everyone thinks it is.

thanks though.

Got a link to any tech info from the locker or gear manufacturers??? The only thing I have seen is from Auburn about using Synthetics in the Ected. They are worried that even with LSD additive synthetics are still prone to causing chatter.

I used AMSOIL 75-140 gear oil in my truck with a trac-loc. It did just fine and did not need any additive at all. Conventional oils need additive with clutch style traction devices...AMSOIL does not as long as you use the 75-140.

I'd say don't put any fluid in it. Then when your rear end goes, you can replace it with a better one. And with the money you saved on not changing the fliud, you'll already have a start to your new axle fund.