What differential lube to use?

sythic lube, and I run limited slip additive in mine rear cause it has a LSD, but as well in the front open to , no need to there but why not it helps with friction and well metel makes frition either way so screw it put it in. Anything thats not the cheap $#!& like at wal-mart that stuff gums up fast.

i don't really care for synthetics cuz i believe in keeping up on the maintenance, and you won't need it.

but, i guess its actually been discovered that synthetic gear lubes are less desirable in differentials, they don't disipate heat as well. gear manufacturers, and locker manufacturers won't warranty parts if synthetic lube is used.

doesn't matter to me cuz i don't use synthetic lubes, especially since they need to be changed so frequently if you wheel.. but i figured i'd pass that on for whoever cares.

but, i guess its actually been discovered that synthetic gear lubes are less desirable in differentials, they don't disipate heat as well. gear manufacturers, and locker manufacturers won't warranty parts if synthetic lube is used.

Synthetic lubes don't get as hot as conventional ones to begin with.

But that is the second time I've seen you post that. Do you have a link to some manufacturer stating that ??? Because unless it states such clearly in their warranty paperwork, it would be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

You have said in the past that you work for a Valvoline store, so I wonder if this isn't a case of a company rep feeding you guys a line to drive sales.

But that is the second time I've seen you post that. Do you have a link to some manufacturer stating that ??? Because unless it states such clearly in their warranty paperwork, it would be a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act.

You have said in the past that you work for a Valvoline store, so I wonder if this isn't a case of a company rep feeding you guys a line to drive sales.

i tried to find it again and couldn't, i actually got if from a link from a trusted friend on another forum, and its come up in other threads, and it is true. i'm not the only one to state it. conventional oil disipated heat a little better in differentials. synthetic filled diffs ran hotter than conventional. dangerous, no, just a fact about synthetics.

i can try to get the link again though.

i tried to find it again and couldn't, i actually got if from a link from a trusted friend on another forum, and its come up in other threads, and it is true. i'm not the only one to state it. conventional oil disipated heat a little better in differentials. synthetic filled diffs ran hotter than conventional. dangerous, no, just a fact about synthetics.

i can try to get the link again though.

Not just that.. but the part that gear manufacturers are denying warranties if you use synthetics. They cannot specify a certain brand or manufacturer of lubricant. All they can specify is a certain industry-accepted specification, like GL-4/MT-1, Mack GO-J, Dana SHAES 234, etc....

my 98 Ford Explorer came from the factory with synthetic in the rear end. In my maintenance book I remember reading something to the effect of "don't even check it unless you suspect a leak" because removing the plug would open it up to contaminates.

I still don't buy synthetic = more heat.

Synthetic = less friction. less friction = less heat.

my 98 Ford Explorer came from the factory with synthetic in the rear end. In my maintenance book I remember reading something to the effect of "don't even check it unless you suspect a leak" because removing the plug would open it up to contaminates.

I still don't buy synthetic = more heat.

Synthetic = less friction. less friction = less heat.

again, less friction is correct. but its how the synthetic transfers the heat produced that is different. heat is produced no matter what oil, the synthetic oil transfers that heat less effeciently than conventional

and i talked with one guy again, and he is a personal friend of john currie, and other manufacturers. and they demo new products on his tj.

i put redline 75w 90 synthetic in my 88 about 8 years and 60k miles ago.i haven't lost a drop and it sure doesn't hurt anything.the only thing i've seen about synthetics not being included in a warranty is my little brothers auburn posi unit in his 80 malibu and my friends moroso posi in his 72 chevelle wouldn't be covered if it failed if they found synthetics.

.the only thing i've seen about synthetics not being included in a warranty is my little brothers auburn posi unit in his 80 malibu and my friends moroso posi in his 72 chevelle wouldn't be covered if it failed if they found synthetics.

thank you. guess its not the miracle fluid its made out to be.

i still don't attest it will cause any harm. i always look at all angles, not just the hype though. its expensive, and isn't a miracle fluid. thats all.