10 inch brakes on an 8.25.

I'm going to be putting an 8.25 in my XJ soon to do away with the D35 and the 3.07 gearing.

I really don't have the money to replace all the brake components, and with all the rust under there I know bleeding brakes would involve breakage.

If I pull the shafts out and take the backing plates off will the 10 inch backing plates go on the 8.25? I've been told the 9 inch ones will, so I thought I'd check.

88 D35, so non-c clip axle if it matters.

If you try, let me know if it works. I just priced brake parts to see what they would cost for my 8.25" and I'm looking at $118.94 plus tax; I need everything except cylinders. Cheaper to go pull-a-part and get another one with brakes still attached.

If you try, let me know if it works. I just priced brake parts to see what they would cost for my 8.25" and I'm looking at $118.94 plus tax; I need everything except cylinders. Cheaper to go pull-a-part and get another one with brakes still attached.

or get disks from a ZJ

or get disks from a ZJ

That was what I was thinking, Going only wonder whyh go through all that trouble for drums. :dunno:

I just replaced my MJ D35 with a 97 XJ 8.25. I was thinking about using the D35 brakes since they were new, but when I saw the difference in size (width and length are both different) of the pads, I decided to just pony up and get new 8.35 stuff.

I'd really suggest getting the stuff that is designed to fit the 8.25 .... brakes aren't something you want to pinch pennies on.

The D35 used the 10 inch and the 9 inch brakes. Changeover was around 91 with the switch to the C-clip axle. The 9 inch backing plates for the D35 and 8.25 are identical except the center hole on the 8.25 is a tad bigger.

Brakes aren't something I'd normally want to reuse like this, but I really don't have money completely replace all of them, and If I can get away with not bleeding brakes that would be best. I can always get newer brakes down the road once I find some money.

I'm going with an 8.25 because I can get an XJ 3.55 8.25 for free and have the D30 for it already. 4.0 auto on 3.07s SUCKS.

If the brakes look horrible when I pull the drums I'll replace them, but I just wanted to see if anyone had done it and if there was anything specific I'd have to do. :dunno:

How do you plan to swap the 10" brakes onto the "new" axle without bleeding the brakes? Off the top of my head, I'd say it can't be done.

By pulling the shafts out, popping the backing plates off and leaving them attached to the truck.

How do you plan to swap the 10" brakes onto the "new" axle without bleeding the brakes? Off the top of my head, I'd say it can't be done.

By pulling the shafts out, popping the backing plates off and leaving them attached to the truck.

You mean leaving the wheel cylinders attached? Won't work. They aren't the same part number for the 9" and the 10" brakes. Plus, if you leave the hose attached to the wheel cylinder, there's no way to remove the 9" backing plate and install the 10".

When I swapped to discs I used them from a D35, the backing plate mounting holeswere just a little off, I had to enlarge one of the holes to get them to fit, along with opening up the center holes as well, since the tube is a bigger diameter. I would assume if you did both of those things on the D35 drums, they would bolt right up.

You mean leaving the wheel cylinders attached? Won't work. They aren't the same part number for the 9" and the 10" brakes. Plus, if you leave the hose attached to the wheel cylinder, there's no way to remove the 9" backing plate and install the 10".

The truck already has the D35 with the 10" brakes. I want to remove the axle from the backing plates, leave them attached to the truck, and put the 10" backing plates on the 8.25, so that none of the brake lines ever have to be removed.

This is what I was thinking. If you guys still think it's not feasible I'll spring for the new 9" stuff.

The truck already has the D35 with the 10" brakes. I want to remove the axle from the backing plates, leave them attached to the truck, and put the 10" backing plates on the 8.25, so that none of the brake lines ever have to be removed.

This is what I was thinking. If you guys still think it's not feasible I'll spring for the new 9" stuff.

Wow..... just wow. :yes: