Mix Axle Ratios?

Is it ok to mix gear ratios front to back? Or do they have to match?

Only if you don't want to use your 4WD... a couple "point" difference is OK (i.e. 4.09/4.10/4.11 would be OK)

If they don't "match", no 4WD.

You can feel even the slightest mismatch. I was running 205 and 215 tires for a while and it was a bit squirrelly on a snowy road. Not enough difference to do any harm. It just wasn't as comforting to drive than when the tires matched

You can feel even the slightest mismatch. I was running 205 and 215 tires for a while and it was a bit squirrelly on a snowy road. Not enough difference to do any harm. It just wasn't as comforting to drive than when the tires matched

tire size != axle ratio's (which is what the OP asked about)

:dunno:

ummm u can run diff gears if u can find the covertion and get the right tire size diff to

taller gear in the front =smaller tires in the front

will work but not logical to do

good luck getting it right :cheers:

Is there a problem here? The issue of mixing ratios relates back to the transfer case having to deal with different drive shaft speeds. Tire circumference is part of the equation. I believe the the front of the truck travels the same distance as the rear but the wheels will rotate at different speeds with different sized tires.

Is there a problem here? The issue of mixing ratios relates back to the transfer case having to deal with different drive shaft speeds. Tire circumference is part of the equation. I believe the the front of the truck travels the same distance as the rear but the wheels will rotate at different speeds with different sized tires.

yes there is a problem.

this whole thread is a joke.

the answer is NO YOU CANNOT run different ratios.

if you do run different ratios, such as (example) 4.88's rear 4.56's front youd need a tire size that's two or three sizes bigger in the rear than in the front. don't quote me, that's not EXACT, and it's the worst idea ever.

so. let's end any discussion on it before this turns into an attention getting thread and becomes a joke across jeep forums. because the answer is no, and that's dictated by common sense and basic knowledge of rotational force.

i agree with pat

it can be done but not good idea

alot off the bad boy mud guys around here do it but there trucks don't see much street

and u have the facts and opinions so i agree with pat let topic die now :cheers:

No is the general answer, but its not the whole truth... :fool:

Yes you can mix ratios, but your tire height must be the correct size so the overall gear ratio is the same. I want to build a street thuck with front 4.10 and rear 4.88 gear ratios. I will be running taller tires in the back to get the same overall ratio/driveshaft speed.

Mud guys do it so one end pulls harder. But they can only use 4wd when they are in mud.

:cheers: