Can Grand Cher. trans work with 2.5?

Is it possible to adapt a Grand Cherokee automatic overdrive to a Comanche 2.5 L engine? If so how? The output spline is the same as that for my 86 2.5 auto trans./transfer case. Looking for gas mileage improvements before the next gas price hike session.

Is it possible to adapt a Grand Cherokee automatic overdrive to a Comanche 2.5 L engine? If so how? The output spline is the same as that for my 86 2.5 auto trans./transfer case. Looking for gas mileage improvements before the next gas price hike session.

Anything is possible.

Theres no grand cherokee transmission worth adapting to the MJ.

The only one that could be worthwhile would be a 545RFE from a new grand cherokee.

This will not be an easy or economically feasible thing to do.

The best trans to adapt would be the NV3550 with a dakota bellhousing. That would give you a better overdrive, though I doubt the 2.5 would handle it very well. Do some searches and you should be able to come up with something.

The NV 3550 has an overdrive of 0.78, which is barely better than the AX-15, with 0.79.

The 2.5 can barely handle the AX-5's 0.85 overdrive, even on 4.10s.

Besides, I think he's looking for an automatic.

Anything is possible.

The 1993 Grand Cherokee used the AW4

Only 1992 (yes, there are a few 1992 Grands), to the first half of the 1993 4.0's had an AW4. The second half of 1993 was the 42re.

Anything is possible.

The 1993 Grand Cherokee used the AW4

Only 1992 (yes, there are a few 1992 Grands), to the first half of the 1993 4.0's had an AW4. The second half of 1993 was the 42re.

yup.

But hell why we are talking about rare ZJs how about the ZJs with the AX15? I've only seen one in my life.