350 in a 'manche, What Rear End is needed?

I'll be using an 8.8 in mine (2wd) but I have extra shafts and spiders for it, and when I regear, I'm putting some money into building it up.

A friend owns an axle shop, said he's got a buddy with a 700hp mustang that'll do a 60 ft wheelstand on his 8.8, but I didn't get the details of the axle or the weight of the car.

Just got my dana 44 front today so now i have D44's front and rear under mine with an LS1 ready to drop in.

I would ask around about what gears to run with that motor. I have 4.10' s in both and plain on running 33's

Just got my dana 44 front today so now i have D44's front and rear under mine with an LS1 ready to drop in.

I would ask around about what gears to run with that motor. I have 4.10' s in both and plain on running 33's

4.10's in both, so they match. Leave them in for now and decide later after you've tested it out on the street and turf.

The rear for mine has 3.73 in it, close ratio 4 speed with 1:1 top gear. I'll be waiting till I log some street/strip miles before I decide on what I want to stick with.

The rear 44 is a good axle overall but generally can warrant a minor truss. I have seen about 10 bent ones over time.

That is lot of power to put into the front D44 even on 33s. That engine will sure be sweet though. I'll be curious to see how that holds up. I spend most of my time (when I have a running rig) in the rocks. I have been pretty lucky with the breakage over the years in Johnson Valley but I have only an HO 4.0. I was running a front Dana 44 pretty much 'polished' with alloys, CTMs, etc. on 37s. I broke two stub shafts but the vendor claimed there was a problem with that run of shafts so I don't fault my right foot. Overall the axle was good to me but it was one of those things where I would worry WAY too much every time I drove it. I eventually replaced it with a 60/HP9 to eliinate those worries. If you are careful it should do you well.

4.10s should be fine athough I would beleive 4.56s would work better.

Thanks. Mine will be totally street. I was not planning anything more that 300hp to maintain good gas mileage, etc. I was thinking a 44 should do it. I know I would have to put spring saddles on an XJ 44, but the width is the same as an MJ 44? I will concentrate on finding an MJ 44. I am thinking this because with 307,000 on the truck, the engine (2.5) with 40,000 since overhaul, the transmission (Aisin 4 speed) and current rear differential (a 35 I assume) will be wearing out in a couple of years. I might as well collect the needed stuff to do a swap to a 350 now since soon I would have to put bucks into what is now in it. What I have heard is the cost of overhauling an Aisin 4 speed is crazy!

Actually, rebuilding the AX-4/5 trans is pretty simple and straight forward. It's the Peugoet (BA-10/5) that is insane.

XJs and MJs shared the same axles. They just move the perches and brackets around for the rear axle.

Well it sounds like your thinking with your wallet like i am. If you don't need to beat on it don't. I'm not going to run mine offroad much just because of all power detonating parts i can hardly afford now.

I'm hoping the 4.10's control some of that power at the stop lights. Jumpboot's get heavy after a long day :USAflag:

Actually, rebuilding the AX-4/5 trans is pretty simple and straight forward. It's the Peugoet (BA-10/5) that is insane.

XJs and MJs shared the same axles. They just move the perches and brackets around for the rear axle.

I have thought of looking for an AX5. Question; is the 5 the same as a 4 except with one higher gear, or are all the ratios a bit different? Right now 70mph has my engine working at barely under 3,000 rpm and for passing and hills, and with my very mild cam, headers, and flomaster single in/dual out, it likes that range. Lower rpms at 70mph may be a problem.

Something I wish they would have done is a wider axle for the MJ. Where the wheels set on the rear of the XJ looks fine, but the slightly wider bed of the MJ than the back of the XJ makes the rear wheels of the MJ look a bit too far under the fender well compared to the front wheels. Just looks, I know, but it bugs me! :nuts:

yeah, the ax-4 and ax-5 are SIMPLE to rebuild. as long as you have a press to take the gears off the output shaft lol.

done several of them myself.