Bolts to reattach flairs

I took my rear flares off (to put a black set on)and.....you gussed it, all the bolts snapped? What size/length bolt should I use to reattach them? Did you drill the head out of the metal plates? or not use them? I'm thinking ill drill them out and reuse them.

They aren't bolts, they're studs ... although for replacement purposes that's academic. The originals are a very small metric size -- either 5mm or 6mm. I have drilled them out, tapped for a slightly larger SAE size and run machine screws in, then tack welded the heads to prevent turning and ground them down a bit. Seems to work fairly well. Be sure you drill in a drill press and use a prick punch to mark a starter location. If you try drilling by hand, the drill will walk off-center and you'll have a mess.

You need to retain the metal backing strips to keep the plastic from warping from the heat of the sun.

I removed the old studs by grinding off the heads and replacing them with 1/4-20 machine screws tack welded to the strips painted and threads covered with Anti-seize. The metal strip is there for a reason to prevent the plastic from warping between the bolts.

I ditched the metal pieces and attached the flares with nylon hardware (1/4"-20). I opted for the nylon hardware after I had to grind off the rusted 1/4"-20 screws I used to reattach the flares the first time I had them off a few years prior. No problems with warping and the flares are well attached.

Actually, NOS flare mounting metal strips show up fairly often on Ebay for cheap. I got all six front pieces for $10, all new, and am only lacking two more for the MJ-specific rear flares. Just keep your eyes open. :D