When do you consider tires shot?

pilotblake

I just picked up a pair of 35x12.50x15 BFG mall terrains to replace the now worn out rear tires on my truck(damn V8 :banana: ). The tread is great probably 80-90%, but that is where it ends. There is cracking in the tread and sidewalls. My truck is not a daily driver, but will make 30 to 60 mile highway trips occasionally. Also has anyone experienced a blowout on the highway on 35s? I just want to know if these will be alright until I get my new tires down the road.

Be very careful. A blow-out on 35's at highway speed is going to be quite a mess, and as mentioned, will do considerable body damage most likely.

If they are dry rotted as you state, I would not trust them for long.

I have wussed out. I'm going to mount the better of the two up as a spare and sell the other to someone else as a spare. Has anyone ever run the Dunlop Mud Rovers I think they are called? Sams had a set of special order 35x12.50x15s sitting in the corner and they have good aggressive looking tread and the price was only $175 a tire.

I wouldn't even GIVE the other one to someone as a spare. Once the rubber starts to crack, the tire is dead. I'm income-impaired, too, so I might take a chance on using one for my own spare ... because I know I'll remember and if I have to use the spare, I'll keep the speed down. I can't rely on someone else doing that, and I don't want it on my conscience that somebody got hurt or killed because a tire they got from me blew out.

A tire with cracks in the tread or sidewall is NOT safe. Period. From a personal liability standpoint, it's not a good idea to sell or give away anything you know is unsafe.

I have wussed out. I'm going to mount the better of the two up as a spare and sell the other to someone else as a spare. Has anyone ever run the Dunlop Mud Rovers I think they are called? Sams had a set of special order 35x12.50x15s sitting in the corner and they have good aggressive looking tread and the price was only $175 a tire.

I havent run that large of a Mud Rover... But they run a little small, they are heavy and kinda stiff. But they don't do badly aired down. About average for road noise.

the dot number will tell you how old they are. technically they are now saying after 6 yrs you cannot be certain of a tires integrity.

tires wear so different in different circumstances i wouldn't go by that, but if they are pretty old you are making the right choice.

the last 4 numbers of the dot is when it was made, 2 numbers for the week, and 2 for the year...example: 2702 means the tire was made in the 27th week of 2002, somewhere in june off the top of my head.