...Smog

I have an 87 comanche 2.5L 4 speed that is a "GROSS POLLUTER" :fs1:

I was looking for any advice as to parts I can replace and common problems with the 2.5L I can pay for a $180.00 diagnostic but I am trying to avoid it if I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated as to cheap fixes that might give me a chance at passing. I have a copy of the failed test print out that I can email if that will help anyone. Thanks in advance...

-Skip

:USAflag:

It runs great for a stock 87 2.5L with 130,000 miles on it, no backfiring but it does dog here tand there especially when cold. I can replace the O2 sensor and the CAT, any cheap fix ideas on the exhaust leak, i am pretty sure i have at least a minor one. I can email you a pdf of the print out if you can provide me an address.

You're running rich.

Start by replacing the air filter, O2 sensor and coolant temperature sensor. The one for the computer, not the one for the dash gauge.

Oil change and new spark plugs can't hurt.

So your NOx is great, but you failed at both speeds on both the HCs and CO.

Sounds like rich running to me as well. I wouldn't touch the cat until the very end of the process.

Are you eligible for "assistance" under the smog reduction program? Something to consider.

Oh, and bummer about getting into the CARB 'puter as a GP. From here on out, they'll be climbing up your "tailpipe" with a major flashlight, and they don't use lube nor give you a reach around.

Oh, and bummer about getting into the CARB 'puter as a GP. From here on out, they'll be climbing up your "tailpipe" with a major flashlight, and they don't use lube nor give you a reach around.

Whew - that sounds like loads of fun.

Along with the other suggestions, how long since a new set of injectiors? That could help as well.

Ya, I am not happy about what a headache this turned out to be but I am in it for the long haul... So where is the best place to start? O2 sensor, coolant temp, and injectors? The other issue i thought of was my muffler. it is after market and garage welder, if it is a bad enough leak could that be it??

Thanks,

Skip

Ya, I am not happy about what a headache this turned out to be but I am in it for the long haul... So where is the best place to start? O2 sensor, coolant temp, and injectors? The other issue i thought of was my muffler. it is after market and garage welder, if it is a bad enough leak could that be it??

Thanks,

Skip

Air filter.

The oxygen sensor is probably THE single most frequent cause of a "rich-run" emissions fail. It's unlikely a dirty air cleaner could possibly make an engine run that rich.

The O2 sensor is supposed to be replaced every 80,000 miles anyway -- it's a maintenance item. It's also a LOT cheaper than that one injector. If the O2 sensor doesn't correct the problem -- be sure you're sitting down when you price that injector.

Thanks Eagle. I am picking up my parts today and found a place that will test free until I pass if the first one is failed :cheers:

Update: I got a big surprise when I got under the manche to install the new O2 sensor last night....I don't have one! The PO cut the stock exhaust off and installed a flowmaster. He cut the entire port and everything off where the sensor goes into the pipe. Luckily the flowmaster came out of a 97 XJ so the port looks to be the same. All that is there now is an old bent and rusty O2 sensor that does not connect to anything. Where do I connect the new one??? I can't find the wiring harness anywhere that it plugs into. This should be my smog issue though.... hahahah