Re-conditioning Used Leafs??

I just dug a set of MJ leafs out of the JY this past weekend. For being 20 years old, they actually look pretty darn good. Even the bushings look like they are in good shape. I'm happy with the find and will be using them for an SOA.

My question - should I just slap them on, or should I try and spruce them up a bit? And if I'm going to clean them up, how would I go about it?

:agree: I refurbed a set of junkyard packs to run on mine, but that’s just how I roll :yes: Started with these:

Image Not Found

tore them all apart and cleaned them up with an angle grinder and wire wheel, and painted them with a graphite-based paint (EZ Slide):

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

replaced the center pins and the sleeved bolts for the clamps:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I also replaced all the bushings (couldn’t press them out myself so I took them to a shop that bent me over a little bit for the presswork they did, but oh well…..). Finished product:

Image Not Found

Jeff

Great pics! Thanks for taking the time to post them.

How is the paint working out? Any squeaking? Where did you buy it?

Those packs look to be in the exact same condition as the set I have. How much lift did you get with the SOA?

Yep, got mine at TSC. They sell it in rattlecans for a ridiculous price per can, and also in the gallon size too. IIRC it cost me about $25 for that gallon, and I only used about 1/8th of it (and that's putting three coats on each leaf). Since then, that same gallon has been passed around to a few other local jeepers down here and there's still about 1/2 of it left.

Leaves are still holding up great, no squeaks at all. I got roughly 6" on my SOA, but I went from 2WD packs to 4WD ones as well, netting an an additional inch or so.

Jeff

That ez slide sounds like the bomb stuff.. here's what the company says about it..

EZ-Slide is black graphite coating designed for any farm, home or industrial applications where a smooth, low-friction coating is needed. EZ-Slide bonds quickly to any clean metal, wood, concrete and most plastic surfaces. Available in two different formulas, EZ-Slide can be applied with a brush or spray can. RB-9512 is the oil-based formula, available in gallons, quarts, and aerosol spray cans. QB-9511 is the waterborne formula, available in gallon containers.

EZ-Slide is also available in a dry graphite powder, packaged in one-pound and five- pound containers. EZ-Slide Talc Powder is also available, for vacuum planters and is packaged in eight-pound containers.

EZ-Slide can be used on farm and industrial equipment, gravity boxes, corn picker heads, combines, truck and wagon beds, buckets, blades, garage door tracks, snow blowers, lawn and garden tools, saw blades, dump bins, solar panel coating, snow plow blades, and more!

EZ-Slide can also be used under lawn mower decks. EZ-Slide will create a smooth surface that will prevent lawn discharge from sticking to the underneath of your mower deck.

APPLICATION TIPS

EZ-Slide is also available in a dry graphite powder, packaged in one-pound and five- pound containers. EZ-Slide Talc Powder is also available, for vacuum planters and is packaged in eight-pound containers.

EZ-Slide can be used on farm and industrial equipment, gravity boxes, corn picker heads, combines, truck and wagon beds, buckets, blades, garage door tracks, snow blowers, lawn and garden tools, saw blades, dump bins, solar panel coating, snow plow blades, and more!

EZ-Slide can also be used under lawn mower decks. EZ-Slide will create a smooth surface that will prevent lawn discharge from sticking to the underneath of your mower deck.

EZ-Slide is black graphite coating designed for any farm, home or industrial applications where a smooth, low-friction coating is needed. EZ-Slide bonds quickly to any clean metal, wood, concrete and most plastic surfaces. Available in two different formulas, EZ-Slide can be applied with a brush or spray can. RB-9512 is the oil-based formula, available in gallons, quarts, and aerosol spray cans. QB-9511 is the waterborne formula, available in gallon containers.

The surface to be painted must be clean and dry. Remove all dirt, grease, or loose, scaling paint by wire brushing, scraping or sanding. Sand all glossy surfaces with sandpaper for better adhesion. Any rusty metal should be cleaned, and the rust that is present removed. Clean new metal surfaces with a mineral spirit soaked rag. Places the peel off are due only to improper surface preparation. Do not use oil or grease after applying EZ-Slide, as this will tend to loosen the bond.

If THINNING is necessary, use a small amount of paint thinner.

Mix well, apply with a clean brush or apply with a spray can. Allow to dry for at least 60 minutes at 70º F, before applying a second coat to insure a good film base. The SPREADING RATE will be approximately 300-400 square feet per gallon, depending on the type of surface to which it is applied. This paint also conducts heat and electricity, and is unaffected by temperature changes when dry (from -75ºF, to approximately 600ºF).

CLEAN-UP your brush and painting equipment with paint thinner. DRYING TIME will be about 60 minutes at 70ºF, until recoat, and overnight dry before you may use it.

I like the "under mower decks" use, sounds like it'd work pretty dang good on leafs..

x2 on the mower application. I'm getting tired of flipping that thing over to clean out all the grass that gets stuck up in there.

My Cub Cadet deck has a quick connect nozzle on it with a high pressure, wide dispersion tip on it underneath so after cutting just hook up the hose with the adapter and crank up the water for a couple of minutes. Does a pretty good job if I do it after every mow. :thumbsup: