front axle rolled foward

got a quick question, and its prolly gonna sound dumb, but i broke the upper control arms on on the front axle, i just got new daystar uppers and am ready to put them in, but the axle is still rolled fowared and i can't seem to get it back down. the yoke is almost straight up. ive tried using my winch, jacking it up everything. is there any way other than taking the entire thing out and putting it back in????

This would mean your front springs must be bowed forward, correct? If so, you could try CAREFULLY putting a spring compressor on the front side of each spring and using that to rotate the axle back. But be CAREFUL -- unless you've had one get away (which happened to my father a long time ago in our garage, you have NO idea how much energy is stored in those springs.

Jack up the front of the vehicle (NOT the axle). When the pressure is off the spring and the axle has no weight on it it should be a lot easier to roll it back.

yeah thats what i ended up doing, then attaching the control arm to keep it from rolling foward again. thanks for the imput!

:agree:

Yep. If you can't compress the springs, jack the chassis up of the springs to allow them to straighten out. Just fer Gawd's sake be careful. If the springs are bowed enough that the pinion is pointed straight up (or nearly so), they are essentially out of control, and an out-of-control automotive coil spring is NOT something to fool around with. If it goes the wrong way when you start jacking and pops loose, it WILL ruin your day.

Very true, but with the XJ's/ MJ's Ive found that the spring retainer on the axle and bumpstop tower keep the coil spring from going out of control in most cases. I will not use a coil compressor because then your asking for trouble. I would just lower the axle and disconnect the trackbar/control arms to get it far enough down to remove the springs.

Anyways, today I had the same problem on my MJ, What I did to fix it, is I used my hi lift to jack up on the tie rod mount on the axle. this would pivot the axle back and fix the pinion angle and let me get my UCA's in.

OMG.. don't EVER lift on steering parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get yourself a stilson wrench, AKA monkey wrench. attach it to the axle tube and put your jack under the handle. Gently lift and your axle will easily roll back into position.

CW

Get yourself a stilson wrench, AKA monkey wrench. attach it to the axle tube and put your jack under the handle. Gently lift and your axle will easily roll back into position.

CW

Tie rod was disconnected. It was only lifting on the mount on the knuckle for the tie rod.

Your idea is great though, I'll use that next time.

CW

Image Not Found

...and don't tow using steering parts! You should have seen the wicked toe-in this stunt created. Thanks PO!

so i got it all in and everything is straight now. but when i went to hook up the passenger side upper control arm it was like 2 1/2 inches to short even when it was fully extended. i cut the threaded end of the control arm, welded some solid circle stock in then welded a pipe over the 2 welds. extended it about 3 1/2 inches and it works just fine now. what i don't get is it said it was made for a 6 inch lift, wich is what i thought i had.........