Opinions on Starter Replacement

Starter locked up today. :fs1: With a couple taps of the hammer, it freed itself up and worked fine again. :banana: It's now been added to my to-do list. My guess is that it was heat related, but I'd appreciate any informed opinion about what actually happened (I'm just curious that way). Also looking for anybody with odds on whether this should be high on my list, or something that I'll be able to ride out a while.

Thanks.

That's a good sign the starter is near the end of its life. It could be somehow getting heat soaked, but unless you've been running hot lately I doubt it. I'd replace it as soon as you can.

You do have a slight advantage, however. If I were you, I would park facing downward on a hill whenever possible. That way, if it does crap out on you completely, you can at least pull off a push start.

mine has been doing the same as well and finally crapped out. its not fun when you want to drive your truck and you can't. fix it now don't let it piss you off when it does go all the way south. easy job too. i think mine went from being drentched in oil for the past few years :roll:

I would replace. Pain in the @$$ (on my 2.5, anyway). But the end result is magical, i.e. a running vehicle. Not sure if the defective starter was original, but it was coated in oil, road grime, etc. A thorough cleaning may have solved the problem, but while it was out of the vehicle I replaced it anyway. About $50 after bringing core back to Auto Zone.

I would replace. Pain in the @$$ (on my 2.5, anyway). But the end result is magical, i.e. a running vehicle. Not sure if the defective starter was original, but it was coated in oil, road grime, etc. A thorough cleaning may have solved the problem, but while it was out of the vehicle I replaced it anyway. About $50 after bringing core back to Auto Zone.

4.0 Starters are a lot easier to replace. You can get at both bolts easy enough, and there's no Torx bolts.

Alright, you all convinced me - it gets a big bump on "the list" to do in the next week. Thanks.

Has anyone here actually crossed off all items on their "lists"? For each job done, I add two more. Jeez!

If you saw the piles of parts in my basement and garage you'd know the answer to that. And i just picked up an XJ too. :shake: