Transfer case questions

Trying to determine the noises coming out of what I am pretty sure is my tcase, i am hearing a clicking at low speeds and some loud low pitch whinning noises at high speeds. If I were to pull my case tomorrow and pull off the tail housing, what should I look for as signs of a bad case? I don't want to disassemble it because IDK anything about its inner workings besides the very basics.

If I were to go pull a case from the yards this weekend, what years/engines/tcases of XJ will be compatible with mine. IDK if I have a 21 or 23 spline and don't know what years will have a compatible spline count. :dunno: I'm looking for a 242 for the full time 4wd but will settle for a 231 pretty easily because of the added strength. I have a 90 MJ with a AX15/231. Anyone know which tcases/years/models will be compatible? What spline count do I have? :dunno:

Your Tcase will be a 23 spline.

ANY XJ/MJ 23 spline 231 should be a direct bolt in. The newer ones will not have the vacuum actuator, so you may have to do away with your CAD if you haven't already.

YJ ones will bolt on, but I believe the shiftplates in them are reversed.

Your Tcase will be a 23 spline.

ANY XJ/MJ 23 spline 231 should be a direct bolt in. The newer ones will not have the vacuum actuator, so you may have to do away with your CAD if you haven't already.

YJ ones will bolt on, but I believe the shiftplates in them are reversed.

I've completely done away with the CAD axle, so thats no problem. What years 231 will be a 23 spline? Will a 23 spline 242 bolt on? Will I need to get a new Driveshaft for the 242 to work?

Any 231 that's from an AX-15 will work, and I believe the AW4 ones from 90+ will be 23 spline.

Yes, a 242 will be a direct bolt in, but remember you need the shifter and linkages from it too.

IIRC, the 242 is a tad longer, but I don't remember how much. If you have a little too much slip now it should probably even it out. (Shaft I had cut for my 207 was about 1/2 shorter than I wanted, but when the 231 went in, it gave me the perfect amount of slip.

The rear is a little too long, but the front is a little short, but if I adjust my caster a little bit, the problem should be fixed, but I gotta put my adjustable UCAs on first so I don't throw out my pinion angle.

Why would you WANT a 242? 231 cases have a MUCH better aftermarket for them and parts are cheap for them. Also, Slip Yoke Eliminator kits are NOT available for a 242.

The 231 case is VERY easy to disassemble and reassemble. Don't let yourself get intimidated by it. The trickiest thing is to get the front output yoke off. A Large Pipe wrench, a friend, a breaker bar and (I think) 1 1/8" socket will do that for ya. After that you'll need a few sockets, a small and large flathead screwdriver, and a set of snap ring pliers - thats about it. Just take your time and slowly disassemble everything. There really is only one way you can put it all back together so as long as you test it out by shifting it and turning the inputs before you put it back in the Jeep and things work, you put it back together correctly.

If you need parts, let me know. I DO have a parts case that has been kinda picked over, but its still mostly there. I could also pretty much walk you through taking it apart and putting it back together if you need me to. Its just alot of typing... :typing:

Also, I am running a "frankenstein" 231 in my truck right now, It's got parts from a YJ,XJ AND MJ on it. As long as you match things up correctly, basically anything will work. The most notable difference between YJ and XJ/MJ cases is the clocking of the case in relation to the transmission. YJ cases are clocked at about 9:00 and XJ/MJ cases are clocked at around 7:30/8:00. If you run the front portion of the YJ case like me (and IIRC Pete), you will need to modify your floorboards to allow the case to tuck up closer to the bottom of the truck...

I want the 242 because it is a DD, and it would be really nice to have that full time 4wd. That being said, would it be safe for me to go pull the case myself today. I've pulled trannies before when I have a hoist and a tranny jack, but I have none of those at my disposal today. I have no idea how heavy the transfer case is and do not have an tranny adapter for my floor jack. could I put some jack stands under the trans, pull the crossmember and then use the jack to support the transfer case while I pull it back and lower it to the ground?

Why would you WANT a 242?

The awd option is nice. :D

The most notable difference between YJ and XJ/MJ cases is the clocking of the case in relation to the transmission. YJ cases are clocked at about 9:00 and XJ/MJ cases are clocked at around 7:30/8:00. If you run the front portion of the YJ case like me (and IIRC Pete), you will need to modify your floorboards to allow the case to tuck up closer to the bottom of the truck...

I thought it was the transmission that caused the clocking? :hmm: Hard for me to say though, as I have both the trans ans t-case from the TJ. No contact yet with the floorboards though. :thumbsup:

I thought it was the transmission that caused the clocking? :hmm: Hard for me to say though, as I have both the trans ans t-case from the TJ. No contact yet with the floorboards though. :thumbsup:

I thought it was too. I have a YJ Ax-15 in the shed, but unfortunatly no XJ/MJ ones. I do have an XJ 231 though.

As for the weight of the T-case, it weights damn near as much as an Ax-15 without the bellhousing on it. A 242 will weight a little more than the 231.

I thought it was too. I have a YJ Ax-15 in the shed, but unfortunatly no XJ/MJ ones. I do have an XJ 231 though.

As for the weight of the T-case, it weights damn near as much as an Ax-15 without the bellhousing on it. A 242 will weight a little more than the 231.

:idea: Yes, you both are right. Now that I think about it, the trans does determine the clocking. :doh:

As far as pulling a case, six studs hold it all onto the transmission. Of course, the top two are the hardest ones to get to....