Electric Fan

This may be here cause I can't seem to get a decent search on the topic.

I never had AC and never had an electric fan as far as I can tell. I looked and don't see any of the wiring for one (temp switch or power plug). Am I missing something or do I have to wire it from the battery thru a relay and control the relay with a temperature switch? I know all the relay theory etc

What I need is part numbers and things to salvage from a pick-n-pul. For the relay, temp switch (where to locate) and anything else I am forgetting.

Personally I'd wire it through a relay to a switch on the dash. I did it to my 88 out of necessity (something in the system stopped working while I was on the dunes) and I plan to do the same to my 90 because I like it so much. I just perfer the idea of it running all the time. Probably because I've had so many heating issues in the past. Of course, then you have to remember to turn it on and off. There's plusses and minuses to everything.

I ran my 87's to a switch and ran it off the relay.

Don't expect to get the full CFM rating from an aftermarket one through the stock wiring, it's crappy and induces voltage drop.

I'm like pete, I like running it all the time, the T-stat keeps the motor at the right temp. When the Jeep goes into 4-Lo I just turn it on and forget about it.

The relay will handle the juice, the majority of switches out there will not. It took a while before I learned that the hard way (youthful ignorance and/or stupidity). Plus then you can run a small guage wire into the cab instead of buying a whole bunch of bigger stuff.

The relay will handle the juice, the majority of switches out there will not. It took a while before I learned that the hard way (youthful ignorance and/or stupidity). Plus then you can run a small guage wire into the cab instead of buying a whole bunch of bigger stuff.

My local Car Quest has a push-pull switch that is normal sized, but rated for 75 amps! I agree with Pete though, put in a relay and a maxi fuse at the power source.

Me and everyone I know who has had a jeep has wired in a switch to their aux fan. By far the best cheapest and easiest mod i've done :bowdown:

And if you really wanna get cool (pun intended) you could pick up a hayden 10" aux fan from kragens. Those little bad boys have kept my jeep cool under harsh wheeling climates - something the stock fan was never able to do. :eek:

is this something i should worry about?

Not if you like trying to figure out what that burnt smell is. :chillin:

haha, should i try runnin it through a fuse in the fuse box, like say the radio fuse so idt come on when the truck does? or is that even worse.

Fuse? Yes, absolutely. From in the box? Only if you're taking power for a relay, not if you're powering the fan directly. Relays only take a small amount of juice. Your fan can easily overwhelm the little wires in the box.

All I can say is WOW... you REALLY should be using relays for ALL heavy current acessories!!! they are VERY EASY to install and allow you to run small gage wire for the switch. I like the 30 amp jobbies....for you guys that frequent the pic-n-pulls early XJ's have a bunch!! they are blue and on the pass side inner fender well.

Looking at the bottom of the relay you will see four prongs. They are :

87, for your end use. IE your light or fan or horn

85, This is your GROUND.

86, this is the "trigger" wire.

30, this is the 12v line coming in. This line needs to be FUSED!!!

The way it works is the voltage comes in to the relay. (relay just a HD remote activated switch) relay is grounded to complete circut. Iten you want to run is attached to realy and the final wire merely tells the relay to fire. thjis is a LO VOLTAGE wire. it takes very little power to fire relay. thats why you can run a little wire for this purpose.

Usually there is a skematic on the back of the card the realy is attached to. But you could wire it a couple ways. the switch could come off the "trigger" wire OR the ground, but if usung the ground it will need to be a heavier gage. DC voltage is like a water pipe, the bigger the pipe the better the flow.

Foer the fan wiring, check to see how the sender operates. is it mearly a ground when up to temp? Then wire it into the #85 wire for gound. Is it for voltage? then run your "trigger" wire to it and back to 12V's.

I hope this better explains it.

CW

Me and everyone I know who has had a jeep has wired in a switch to their aux fan. By far the best cheapest and easiest mod i've done :bowdown:

And if you really wanna get cool (pun intended) you could pick up a hayden 10" aux fan from kragens. Those little bad boys have kept my jeep cool under harsh wheeling climates - something the stock fan was never able to do. :eek:

I've got a hayden 10 " It fits just right, and pulls way more air than the mechanical fan at idle. I can feel it sucking air in from the grill when it's on and I put my hand in front of it. Required some minor trimming to get it to fit flat against the rad, the upper rad support was in the way a bit. Best 10 PM at a campsite mod I ever did :)

No suggestions on using a temp sensor? I am bad enough turning off the lights there is no way I will remember to turn off a fan. Like I said I get relay theory. I just designed a factory air compressor that uses a 24V signal to switch 480V.

If you're worried about turning the fan off, just power the relay from a "switched power" source. That way it turns off with the key. That way you don't even need to add another switch to the interior.

x2.

I'd still switch it so it could be turned off at highway speeds, just to save wear and tear on the $80 fan.

So just run 12V to a single throw switch from a switched source in the fuse box. Then you'll only need to run one small guage wire up to the relay, and everything else can be done in large guage wire up front. I think I used 12GA

wheeling in NC, almost blew the motor first day, 4 hours from my brothers house and 14 hours from mine. It's what the nearest parts store had, and kept me wheeling for 2 more days.

would I have chosen it over a $10 stocker no, is it far and away a better unit, hell yes. It flows substantially more air than my brothers stock unit, and it has less current draw and isn't as noisy.

I wired my fan in with a switch and in conjunction with my parking lights. So I can turn the fan on or off with the switch inside the cab, but my parking lights must be one first...

That way, my lights buzzer will go off to let me know my lights are on if I forget, and when wheeling, leaving the lights on won't kill the battery and I know from a distance if the fan is on or not...

Its worked for me for many years...

HTH

Ryan

• 2 years later...

hey, the search function does work! anyway, i dug up this moldy oldy to ask if there is a way to wire the electric fan so that it kicks on at the temp its supposed to as well as have it on a switch on the cab so i can turn it on/off as i so choose? and if so, can someone please provide me with some details on how to?

Thanks

Erik

I'm really racking my brain on this one, but I think you can swap in the thermostat housing from a later model engine and use the temp sensor that goes in it. Or something like that.