$300 '88 Pioneer Project "Commi"

Well I've been on here for a little while, but just now gettin around to writing up my little build on my MJ.

Specs (when I picked it up): '88 Pioneer/4.0/2wd/BA-10/Dana 35/Long Bed/190,xxx ish miles

Got it for $300 b/c it had a list of issues with it, some he knew about and others that I found out...

Radio not working right

Rust on the fenders

tranny grinding

interior lights not working

crank vent tube leaking alot of oil

slave cylinder going bad/leaking

rear main leak

bad tie rod end

needed tires

bumper rusted/beaten to crap

floors had some light rust

radiator was shot

thermostat shot

exhaust broken at the mufler

all mirrors messed up

The first meeting with the truck after about a 2hr drive...

l_d890620f90044f1c90eba334f91dba5d.jpg

Back at home, didn't keep the cover, didn't really like it and didn't have the extra cash on me to get it.

l_aae2e07656e44735bb633eb8d7a3fd9c.jpg

l_2863329779d446d28e9f8f7310ab597d.jpg

Anyways did some basic repair work on it, a set of wheels/tires, new rear bumper, radiator/thermostat/flush coolant, and tie rod and now she looks like this....

l_9baa65be61fb4cbcb9b82b8b1a5016aa.jpg

old bumper..

l_88ba8e78c9514058802b9d25fbbf06d4.jpg

new bumper :yes: it's shiney lol....

l_aeecc10afd3c445fa7a7c5ec2679d8a6.jpg

Ended up pickin up the bumper, the tow hooks, a bed mat, and my mirrors and paid like $30 for all of it together.

Anyways a few weeks after the tranny finally said no more, went and picked me up an AX-15 from a '94 XJ for $200, swapped it into the truck, but now I gotta have the driveshaft redone and balanced......and that leads me up to right now, waiting to get my slip yoke so I can drop everything off at the driveshaft shop.

I've done a little work inside the truck, pulled the carpet up to find some rust, but not to bad. I'm redoing some of the work on it now, but being cold and wet outside the bed liner stuff doesn't really like to stick to anything, so I just sanded/primed the floor and waiting till the sun comes out and the temps go back up yo do the bed liner stuff.

-Cody

She's coming along! Now, where in the wide wide world of sports did you find a stock chrome rear bumper, much less for $30???!! :fs1:

Pull-a-part down in Charlotte, they've got a whole red '88 long bed 2.8/5spd/4x4 sittin down there, I'm thinkin about gettin the bed if it's not to hard to get off or to expensive. Wouldn't mind the front axle either.

I've kinda been thinkin about it, as long as it doesn't cause an issue with the driveshaft, but I'm pretty sure that it's the same small dana that I've got. I'd like to get that axle and the bed, mine are rusted out over the fender flares on both sides, but I may just try and fix them. Need my warm dry weather back :fs1: , dang you cold and wet!! :fs1:

BTW: Driveshaft has been redone and put into the truck, so far no issues, but it'll get a good test on the drive to work today. It was out of balance something bad from what the guy told me. While I had it out I replaced the end seal on the tailshaft. I think I need another bottle of fluid but I think I cleaned out all the Autozones (2) in Mooresville and they're the only ones who carry it around here.

-Cody

I didn't think about it till now but I do have a to do list, but I guess I forgot to share, anyways:

Basics:

Fix the bed sides

Finish fixin the floor

Get the thing runnin decently good again

Put the carpet back in it

'97+ Front end/Body work/paint

Headlight harness upgrade/fog lights

Fun Stuff:

Lift (3-5 inches)/33's/Micky Thompson Classic II's

4wd swap....on down the road aways

Bucket Seats/Full length center console

Radio/speakers

Upgrade all the lights inside and out

Build new 4.0, with the intentions to turbo it

I have a crazy idea for the bed, but really doubt it'll ever happen

Some type of roof rack setup

I'm pretty sure I'm missin some stuff, but that's all I can think of right now. I need to get a better job so I can jump on some deals that I've been finding. There's a guy in town with a complete 4.0 H.O. that has a blow headgasket that's already been pulled out for $120. But yeah there's been other deals but you know what I'm sayin.

-Cody

Lifted the carpet out of it, this much rust and $300 don't think I can be upset....

Drivers

l_10ab04378caf4e1aaea104705e5d2287.jpg

Pass

l_a3e892d01aca4d58ab2e38335c7d0d2e.jpg

Part of the problem, it had only been sittin there for like 5mins, and notice the stream of water..

l_74f664860a6644cea3c3f938198abc22.jpg

I've sanded it down, put a coat of truck liner on it, but had some issues with it, so I'm in the process of doing it over again.

-Cody

i think i saw it when it was still for sale did you get it from collins brothers jeeps in Wylie Tx

No, would not have drove that far for her. I got this one right one the NC/SC state line.

*Update* Went to Pull-a-Part today, picked up a new (internal setup) clutch master cylinder, clutch fluid line, a set of bucket seats, and a full center console with brackets for everything. Ended up costin right around $60 for it all. I'll get some pics up tomorrow when I get everything put in and together.

-Cody

Well I found out the hard way that those seats don't just bolt into place, so I guess that I'll try the swaping of the bench brakets to the buckets and try my best to do a write up on it. But all the clutch stuff in installed and seems to be working just fine, just gotta bleed it again. :ack:

-Cody

Just a few shots from today...don't have the time right now to put the seats inside the truck, so I had alittle fun with them. I've got a car show tonight anyways so I figured why not have a nice seat while there.

l_b06b50e8e9b24ec9914fc440b2a587e9.jpg

l_54b3fa75c02c490db4fb1403147e1f32.jpg

My tall freakin shifter, lol I kinda like it more and more everyday...

l_2ac5e3d255d143e386e6141554188d4c.jpg

And my new clutch master cylinder...

l_eebcef30bff94fdd941bec72b2c95738.jpg

It's kinda funny b/c the seats match alittle better to the outside than the inside :dunno: , oh well.

-Cody

No, would not have drove that far for her. I got this one right one the NC/SC state line.

-Cody

o ok because they had one that looks exactly the same long bed grey ,maroon interior. it even had a maroon camper top, weird, anyway, looking good so far, keep up the good work

*Update* Went to Pull-a-Part today, picked up a new (internal setup) clutch master cylinder, clutch fluid line, a set of bucket seats, and a full center console with brackets for everything. Ended up costin right around $60 for it all. I'll get some pics up tomorrow when I get everything put in and together.

-Cody

$60 damn! I just went to the local pick-n-pull and paid $16 for two window cranks :fs1: I was pissed, but you know how it is, after walking around the place trying to find a jeep that still had the cranks in it I felt like I was more or less "dedicated to the cause" I would have just buried them under my tools if my buddy hadn't talked me out of it... he apologized for stopping me after I paid $20 total including the cover charge.

Nice truck, I'm liking those seats, living in the desert, thats the perfect spot to watch a bonfire.. or go all out redneck and drink some beer in the drive way :rotf: XJ seats? post some pics of how you set up the brackets if you can remember, thats what I want to do to my truck next.

Yeah I took them out of the bed and put them in the truck to get rid of the bench that was in there, but I'm thinkin about findin another set to mount in the rear.

*update*

Bucket seats are in the truck along with the center console, the interior is all there and doesn't match at all....lol....oh well. I love the bucket seats, forgot how good it feels to lean back in a seat while driving. Might try and mess with an intake on the truck today, just kinda depends. Went to the Auto Fair this morning and walked like 6 or 7 miles lookin at cars and random parts......I wanted an air horn....but the girlfriend said no and pulled me away from it :( .

-Cody