Rattle noise....or loose transmission????

I have this weird noise, ie: rattle, It seems to be like someone with a hammer is tapping in a totally unrythmic way under my feet as I am driving. And also every once and a while when I shut the truck off I hear a "banging noise" Any ideas, bad transmission mount? I got under and checked everything....the transmission has movement, but I thought with the rubber mount that was normal.....the exhaust does not hit anything at all....????help...

Does it happen on sharp left turns at higher speeds? If so it is Definitely the exhaust hitting the crossmember because of a bad crossmember mount. It may not look like it, but it is a fairly tight squeeze between the exhaust and xmember to begin with, factor it in with a bad mount, and boom, there is your problem.

I have this problem with my mj. not trying to hijack, but does anybody know how to change that mount? Do I have to drop the xmember to do it?

No converter in the truck....well there is a piece that looks like a converter, I am assuming you mean the cat....or do you mean the torque...? I shook the exhaust hard under the truck and It touches nothing.... I dunno.....any help is appreciated...

Does it do in while at idle?? If so Id crawl under it and start listening. I was refering to the catalytic converter. My XJ's rattled really bad. I just crawled under the Jeep and started to listen for the rattle.. When you said you hear it when you cut the engine off,, sounds just like the exhaust.. Check each hanger and anything even close to the piping. You should be able to see wear marks if it is hitting somewhere. Crawl under it SAFELY!!! and have someone turn the engine off..

Does it happen on sharp left turns at higher speeds? If so it is Definitely the exhaust hitting the crossmember because of a bad crossmember mount. It may not look like it, but it is a fairly tight squeeze between the exhaust and xmember to begin with, factor it in with a bad mount, and boom, there is your problem.

I have this problem with my mj. not trying to hijack, but does anybody know how to change that mount? Do I have to drop the xmember to do it?

You might be able to jack up trans. enough to swap mount but dropping x-member is a piece of cake.

You might be able to jack up trans. enough to swap mount but dropping x-member is a piece of cake.

Not always, those bolts and studs under there love to snap off, and there's always the possibilty that the PO decided that welding it back on would be easier than pulling the broken bolts off like on my 4.0...

If you do take the crossmember off, soak the bolts with PB good a few times before you try to take them off.