ba 10/5

I don't think I've ever heard the term "better transmission" used to describe the BA 10/5.

The AX-4/5 are very sturdy transmissions for light duty. I'd rather have one of those than the BA 10/5.

There really isn't a need to find an upgrade trans to replace an AX-4/5.(I'm assuming you have a 4 cylinder and an NP 207). It shouldn't be too difficult to find an NP231 for your trans.

The t-case from the BA10/5 does not really bolt up to anything else without modifications as far as I know...BUT, I have not tried it and may be off on that one. I know it's a 21 spline input and there may be issues with input shaft length as well.

I always thought it should bolt up to all the 'older 21 spline rigs. :dunno:

The 231 on my BA 10/5 wouldn't bolt up to my 86 AX-4 because while the spline count was the same, the 231 had a long input and the 207 had a short input.

:hijack:

Talking about trannys, what can bolt into an '86 2.5? Going to do a 4x4 conversion soon hopefully and I have a friend with a bunch of spare trannys and sxles and stuff. So what all can bold straight up to a 2.5 as an auto?

:hijack:

Talking about trannys, what can bolt into an '86 2.5? Going to do a 4x4 conversion soon hopefully and I have a friend with a bunch of spare trannys and sxles and stuff. So what all can bold straight up to a 2.5 as an auto?

As an auto? For a 2WD ==> 4WD conversion?

Any auto tranny + transfer case set out of any XJ or MJ 2.5L. But ... the transfer cases used from 84 through 86 were not as good as the 231, so you'll be better off looking for boxesout of 87 through 2000 XJs, and 87 through 92 MJs. Just get the tranny and transfer case together and you have no worries about input shaft compatibility. You can't bolt a transfer case to a 2WD tranny without converting the tailshaft anyway, and those parts cost money. It's better just to buy the whole enchilada.