Advice on a Comanche

All right guys, as you all know I am knew to this board, and am fairly new to the Comanche world. I bought mine about 5 months ago. It appears to have been in really good shape. Its a 88 2wd 2.5 4spd. It onyl had 98,000 miles on it. I bought it from the 2nd owner. I use it for a work truck, just basically driven to and from work and driven around at work, that what I bought it for. I would really like to know what I have and what I can add to it to make it better.

Its a basic truck with power steering, no a/c, and a 4spd. I would like to know what I can do to make it have power steering. What other jeep can I rob to get the parts and what parts do I need. Also, I know the AX5 would be the easiest tranny to swap, so other than Comanche's, what do I find them in. I would also like to know what rearend I might have.

Literally the only thing wrong with my jeep is the interior lights don't work, the shifter console is loose and the arm for the load sensing valve is gone. Other than that its what I would call prestine for jeeps these days.

Anyway any help and advice would be greatly appericated. I am not really wanting to mod it out, just make it more comfortable to drive around.

Bit

Your rear end is either a d35 or a d44. Most likely a d35. Look here to see which:

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

here's a great fix for the lights. I did this to mine:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3490

Cherokees up to 96 are the same from the cab forward for parts.

Well it appears I have a Dana 35C, thats ok to I guess, since S10s came with 7.5inch ring gear and they live behind V8's (sometimes)

The light deal is great and I will be doing that. Thanks.

Bit

You can snag an AX-5 from a 2.5L/2.8L Cherokee/Comanche or 2.5L Wrangler of any year.

Another good upgrade for you is to grab the rear axle out of that rig you get the trans from. As a general rule of thumb:

2.5L+4spd manual = 3.55 gears,

2.5L+5spd manual = 4.10 gears

To follow up Pete's suggestion, you are more likely to find an AX5 in a 4WD vehicle. Go ahead and buy the tranny and the transfer case. You can just leave it in 2WD, but you'll be that far ahead if you decide to make it a 4WD later on. If you can get both the front and rear axles and the front driveshaft from the donor, you'll have all the parts.

Thanks yall for the advice. I am glad to hear that I am not limited to Comanche for the tranny swap as there are not many where I live. So as far as clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing go, are they all the same or will have to get AX5 specific parts.

Also would any of you know what I parts and from what, I can use to give me some power steering, and do factory looking install.

Thanks,

Bit

You only need the factory parts off a PS equipped MJ/XJ with the same engine. Pump, resevoir, brackets, belt, power steering box, etc. Anything associated with it. :thumbsup:

Where do you live?

So as far as clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing go, are they all the same or will have to get AX5 specific parts.

The parts in your truck will work just fine. The AX-4 and AX-5 are completely identical other than the gears for 5th are missing in the AX-4. It's possible to even put the 5th gear into an AX-4 and make it an AX-5.(I've done it)

The only difference will be if it's an internal or external slave cylinder. 84-86, 94+(I believe) should be external, and 87-93 should be internal. If you find a donor trans that's external, it's a good upgrade, you'll just have to modify the line a little bit. Otherwise, if you just want to keep the internal, you'll have to swap the bearing retainers. My 2.5 is a 91, trans is a 93, and bellhousing/bearing retainer/external slave clyinder setup are from an 86.

I agree with getting the rear axle if possible, as 5th gear with a 3.55 axle will be next to useless behind a 4 cylinder. Transfer case would not be a bad choice, even if you don't install the rest of the parts for 4wd it'll give you a low range, but you will need the drive shaft as well, or have your current one shortened.

Well it appears I have a Dana 35C, thats ok to I guess, since S10s came with 7.5inch ring gear and they live behind V8's (sometimes)

Bit

Just so you know...the D35 is a weak axle that is not good for much of anything but easy daily driving. The shafts are weak, the housings are weak...just nothing good about them if you are going to use it for anything strenuous.

I agree with getting the rear axle if possible, as 5th gear with a 3.55 axle will be next to useless behind a 4 cylinder.

Not entirely. It's handy when doing 70+ on fairly level ground.

I do have a set of 4.10 axles waiting to go in though. :thumbsup:

I figured the power steering swap would be from another manche, but I was wondering if I could any parts from anything else as manche around here are not alot.

I live in Marietta, Texas. Its up near the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, border.

I think I am going to go with the adding the gear in my AX4 to make it an AX5, don't really care about the slave cylinder location, as I don't plan on modded this thing out, I just want a confortable daily driver. But I am gonna switch the rear end. What all did a D44 come in that will be a direct bolt in?

Thanks

Bit

I figured the power steering swap would be from another manche, but I was wondering if I could any parts from anything else as manche around here are not alot.

I live in Marietta, Texas. Its up near the Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, border.

I think I am going to go with the adding the gear in my AX4 to make it an AX5, don't really care about the slave cylinder location, as I don't plan on modded this thing out, I just want a confortable daily driver. But I am gonna switch the rear end. What all did a D44 come in that will be a direct bolt in?

Thanks

Bit

You should be able to swap the power steering stuff from any 2.5 XJ/MJ with a serp belt.

If you can find an AX-5, I would recommend you just swap that in. It's a little bit of work to get that 5th in there just right, and unless you have some experience working on transmissons, something could go wrong. I should have pointed out that I have done the swap, but it was only because I couldn't locate a cheap enough 4wd AX-5 and I did have issues with it, tranny was only in my truck for a year before I pulled it out in favor of a stock 93 AX-5. - That, and I blew up the 207.

The only D44 that will be a direct bolt in is one out of an MJ. XJ axles are the same, except for the spring perch location. MJ is SUA, XJ is SOA, and the distance between the perches is different.

You'll have to cut and weld new perches on if you get an XJ axle. MJ D44s are extremely rare, so it will be incredibly difficult to 1:Find one, and 2:Find one with the gear ratio you want.

Don't pass up on a good deal for an XJ axle if you find one.

Another option, since you're just doing it as a daily driver, is a Chryco 8.25 out of an XJ. Same amount of fab work to get it in your truck, and should be strong enough for you.

See I have access to a fex XJ's so I might some swap some parts over. I am not sure if any are five speed or not but I know all of them are 4.0. Mainly gonna use them for front end swaps maybe. Really just seeing whats out there.