Suggested Towing/recovery rules of the forum

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

I just want to say that we've pulled grain wagons overloaded with corn out of mud that was over the axles out with chains. Took 2 tractors (a 706 and 1086 or H), they were sliding around in the mud like a couple of dogs on ice, but the chain was fine after it finally came loose from the mud.

But yea, straps are best. Of course let's just state that everyone should have a winch front and back and call it good.  :thumbsup:

If a tow strap comes loose or breaks, it may take out a plastic grill or give you a serious welt.

If a chain comes loose or breaks, it will go through the grill and through the radiator, if you're lucky. If not it will go through the windshield and kill the driver. If you happen to be in the way, you're going to lose body parts.

Good points on safely recovering. The difference between grade 5 and grade 8 is about 20% for tension and shear.  If grade 5 is gonna break getting a vehicle out, then grade 8 probably would too.  Grade 8 isn't more brittle, that's a myth.  They stretch just like grade 5 will when they reach limit of their weight bearing capacity.  Just seems like they snap easier.  http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/fasteners/index.asp

Rule one of recovery is to recover the vehicle in the easiest direction.  Once a vehicle is stuck, the recovery shouldn't be to get over an obstacle, it should be to get the vehicle rolling again in the easiest direction which is usually backwards.

Chains are getting a bad rap here though.  I always have a chain in the truck (and three straps).  Proper sized chains are fine when used correctly....just don't get em as tight as a guitar string and keep pulling on an object that's obviously not going to move.  And yanking is a bad idea no matter how you're attached, chain or not. 

Chains are used for securing all sorts of supersized loads on rail and sea.   How many times have you seen an oversized 20-50K or heavier load on an 18 wheeler secured with only four chains?  We secure 70 ton main battle tanks with chains when we line haul them.  A proper sized chain is just fine for a jeep sized vehicles that have wheels and can roll.  Just don't be stupid with it.  The problem with chains, is people usually go too small.  

Just like when a head bolt is stretched once they should be replaced and not reused, so should chains when they've been abused and stretched.  Same thing goes for straps and synthetic ropes.  They get frayed, are easily abraded, and get a lot of friction burns and they should be replaced frequently after heavy pulls or abuse.  Not to mention they're easily victim to the various automotive chemicals and oils that are bouncing around our rigs and they're a crapload more expensive.

Yes there is a danger of snapback with chains, but its not as bad as winch cable.  Whatever is used, it needs to be used properly, not abused and regularly inspected and replaced if necessary. 

I have to agree with ComancheCountry on chain usage . Every time I have ever seen a chain break it has been due to improper size or use . Straps are for yanking , chains are not . Do not take the slack out with the skinny pedal !Recoveries have always been one of my favorite things about wheeling . I used to carry quite alot of recovery gear and my two 10ft 5/8 chains got there fair share of use . We all come equiped the the best tool you can have , the Brain . Use it .

One item I haven`t seen listed in this thread is the HiLift jack . I have used these for years to recover myself and others before getting a winch and I have been injured several times useing one . These things can kill in a heart beat if not used properly . This thread seems geared mostly toward truck to truck recovery but I thought I`d mention the HiLift becuase this will be one of first recovery tools alot of people get when starting out . While it is a great tool and worth every penny, safety with these just can`t be overstated .

Things can go way worse than expected with a simple laps of attention . This was caused by allowing too much slack in a strap while I was towing a wounded Scout off the trail , strap took out the right front brake line and it was all it took to make a bad day worse .

roll1.jpg

Chains are for binding down immobile items, for securing a load, and for anchoring ships.

Never are chains supposed to be used to pull or tow something.    Even if you're very good behind the pulling rig, any disparity between driver of tow rig and driver of rig being towed will allow for slack, which will cause tugging.

Chains used in recovery snap, buck, and bind.   People have gotten killed by them.

Nothing wrong with using chains. Its no different than saying guns are dangerous in the hands of an idiot. So guns or chains are fine, as long as the person using them has at least some common sense. If they don't they will learn the hard way.

No point in badmouthing the use of chains. If used properly they will be just fine.

agreed.

Harley, unlike firearms, there are less people who own chains and have the training on using them, much less the common sense to do so. More people who own guns are trained to use them safely than people who aren't. Your reference is insulting to good honest gun owners, and not even close to being on the mark.

I beg to differ. There are ALOT of people who have firearms that shouldn't, including law enforcement personnel. I own plenty of firearms and have been around them most of my life and I would rather take my chances with the guy using a chain.  lol

but to get back on topic, you have your way of doing things and others have their way. if a chain/strap works for your particular situation, more power to ya but calling people "redneck" and such names just because they choose to use a certain type of tool to get the job done is a bit childish on your part. 

Accept it for what it is. You don't have to agree with it but no need to put somebody down for it because in the end, more often than not, the results will be the same.

I beg to differ. There are ALOT of people who have firearms that shouldn't, including law enforcement personnel. I own plenty of firearms and have been around them most of my life and I would rather take my chances with the guy using a chain.  lol

but to get back on topic, you have your way of doing things and others have their way. if a chain/strap works for your particular situation, more power to ya but calling people "redneck" and such names just because they choose to use a certain type of tool to get the job done is a bit childish on your part. 

Accept it for what it is. You don't have to agree with it but no need to put somebody down for it because in the end, more often than not, the results will be the same.

Here is the bottom line;

There is no wheeling community that doesn't support drinking on the trails that agrees with you.

Seeing your opinion on the matter, I'm happy you're not around my neck of the woods. Because you'd be the first person I'd tell to go wheel alone.

Chains aren't safe for recovery. they kill people.

Thats ok cause i'm not out to impress a "wheeling community", or anybody for that matter so I really don't care if they agree or not. Just stating facts in the matter.  :cheers:

"but calling people "redneck" and such names just because they choose to use a certain type of tool to get the job done is a bit childish on your part. 

Accept it for what it is. You don't have to agree with it but no need to put somebody down for it because in the end, more often than not, the results will be the same."

These were the "facts" I was referring to.

LMFAO

Around these parts, the people you'd call "rednecks" are in no way insulted by being called a "redneck". That's not a put-down, it's a description of a type of person.

I'm sorry that you're so easily offended.

yeah, me and all my buds are proud to be rednecks, to most people down here it doesnt mean what it used to mean anymore. but i can see both sides of this arguement, while i know nothing about going down rock trails and stuff, i do go muddin with my buds down here in GA. when we get stuck we use chains cause thats what we got, we have pulled out and been pulled out hundreds of times with no issues, but at the same time chain links are breakable and since they are heavier they have the chance to deal more damage... but again, as long as your smart and don't try to pull a dump truck with a comanche using a tiny chain lol, you should be fine, In my opinion that is, if i was gonna go with people that don't like using chains, then i wouldnt bring my chain, that simple.

I'm more leery of death by bee stings, lightning strike or shark attack then I am of flying chain debris.   Rollovers, vehicle fires, brake and mechanical failures are far more danerous and likely.  The dangers of chain usage can be mitigated by laying blankets, floor mats, or any draping any other loose object over the chain.  You're supposed to do this on a winch cable for the same reason, as well as a strap.

I don't think I'd kick someone out of a trail party just because they had a chain with them.  That's just rude and narcissistic.

I'm more leery of death by bee stings, lightning strike or shark attack then I am of flying chain debris.   Rollovers, vehicle fires, brake and mechanical failures are far more danerous and likely.  The dangers of chain usage can be mitigated by laying blankets, floor mats, or any draping any other loose object over the chain.  You're supposed to do this on a winch cable for the same reason, as well as a strap.

I don't think I'd kick someone out of a trail party just because they had a chain with them.  That's just rude and narcissistic.

:agree: