207 transfercase

The 207 was the Command Trac (part-time only) transfer case for 1984 through 1986 (or 1986 only, for the MJ). It was used with the 4-cylinder and the V6. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the 207 was used for part or even all of the 1987 model year, and I haven't crawled under the one 1987 MJ I have to look.

It's very similar to the 231, but the oiling isn't quite as good and the low range is 2.6x rather than 2.7:1.

The reason I asked about year is that for the 231 and the 242, at least behind the 4.0L Jeep changed the spline for the tranny-transfer case interface from 21 splines to 23 splines as of (IIRC) 1991. If that also affects the 4-cylinder models, a late model AX5 won't mate up with a 207 transfer case.

np207 was used at least until 1988 behind the ax5 4wd version, however it may have been up to 1991...unsure.

after that, the np231 was used.

there are long and short output seal variations of the ax5, which determine which input size you need on your trans...I haven't yet taken apart my 1994 ax5 and np231 to find out if this is the long or short, however I can say most of the older ax5's used a long input shaft...meaning you cannot use any short input np231 without some modification.

the one thing you must have for sure is an ax5 4WD version of the transmission...you cannot simply bolt a t-case to the 2wd ax5 (or any other cherokee, comanche, or newer jeep). that would require swapping your output shafts (and main gear cluster to a 4wd output shaft) and output housing on the transmission.

I'm (temporarily) putting an np242 21 spline short input from a 90 cherokee onto my ax5, but I need to swap out the output housing to the short shaft housing first.

I wish I'd done thorough investigation on case numbers before I tore all 4 of the ones I've blown (3 I blew one blown with the truck when I got it) so I could tell you what case means what output...but I didn't :dunno:

-Pat

oh...one additional piece of info. the ax5 retained it's 21 spline input it's entire career in the cherokee and comanche...only variation was input shaft length.

that information is passed on to me (I forget sources) by several different people...as I say, I haven't yet split my 94 trans and t-case but when I do (in the near future) I will let you know.

oh...one additional piece of info. the ax5 retained it's 21 spline input it's entire career in the cherokee and comanche...only variation was input shaft length.

That's sort of what I was thinking, but I don't have any way to confirm. Thanks for the info.

That's sort of what I was thinking, but I don't have any way to confirm. Thanks for the info.

welcome. I'll have to split that case off the trans before the end of the week and find out to confirm...one more notch to the databanks.

welcome. I'll have to split that case off the trans before the end of the week and find out to confirm...one more notch to the databanks.

Yeah, but we really need to formalize that data bank. Perhaps we need to start a thread in which people can post what year and tranny they have, and what the spline count and length of the shaft is. Mostly we all just sort of vaguely think "21-spline" or "23-spline," and we know that Jeep changed around 1991 (or so) -- except they didn't change the 4-cyl (unless they changed the shaft length), and ...

Yeah, a comprehensive compilation of permutations and combinations would be handy for reference.

Yeah, but we really need to formalize that data bank. Perhaps we need to start a thread in which people can post what year and tranny they have, and what the spline count and length of the shaft is. Mostly we all just sort of vaguely think "21-spline" or "23-spline," and we know that Jeep changed around 1991 (or so) -- except they didn't change the 4-cyl (unless they changed the shaft length), and ...

Yeah, a comprehensive compilation of permutations and combinations would be handy for reference.

yup.

I have no intention of ever messing with tearing ax5's apart again however...so I will not be able to give us an exact year on when they changed the long/short input shaft on the np207

I got to bolt the 207 to the ax5 (4wd) every thing bolted up allright out off vehichle. Now i heard i have to change the front bearing cover. Because the 98 ax5 is a external slave cylinder.

I got to bolt the 207 to the ax5 (4wd) every thing bolted up allright out off vehichle. Now i heard i have to change the front bearing cover. Because the 98 ax5 is a external slave cylinder.

why don't you use the external slave cylinder.

because your internal front cover is a different size. it won't bolt on

Why not? I have an 86 External Retainer bolted onto a 93 AX-5.

IIRC the only thing ever changed in the AX-5 was the size of the input bearing.

oh. perhaps I confused the ax5 and ax15 bearing retainers?

I have an 88 4-cyl with an AX4 tranny that has an internal slave. I'm sure the AX5 was the same setup.

I have an 88 4-cyl with an AX4 tranny that has an internal slave. I'm sure the AX5 was the same setup.

yes, but the only difference between the internal and external bearing retainer plate is that it's got a sleeve on it that covers the input shaft about 3" and allows the throwout bearing to slide on it.

OP leave the external slave assembly and set it up for external....you will be WAAAAY happier to replace it when it fails, than having to yank your trans to do it.