Another strange driveline question

By the time I get done I'm gonna know everything about doing these swaps, lol. Anyways, I know that when you swap a AX-15 in place of the BA-Crap you have to either A:have a drive shaft made or B: get one from the same wheelbase MJ that had the AX-15 already in it. My question is will my choice C work? Choice C being: swap the drive shaft end from the BA end to the AX-15 end (and by end I'm meaning from the u-joint forward to the tailshaft). Sorry can't remember proper terms for it. Basicly I'd keep my tube and everything back to the rear end but just swaping the actual part that mates to the tailshaft and rejoining it with a new u-joint.

My question.....will it work? :???:

Ant the other thing, no I'm not going to 4wd on the truck, I'm stickin with the 2wd for now. I just don't want to worry about the truck all the time thinkin the tranny is gonna just fall out of it.

-Cody

By the time I get done I'm gonna know everything about doing these swaps, lol. Anyways, I know that when you swap a AX-15 in place of the BA-Crap you have to either A:have a drive shaft made or B: get one from the same wheelbase MJ that had the AX-15 already in it. My question is will my choice C work? Choice C being: swap the drive shaft end from the BA end to the AX-15 end (and by end I'm meaning from the u-joint forward to the tailshaft). Sorry can't remember proper terms for it. Basicly I'd keep my tube and everything back to the rear end but just swaping the actual part that mates to the tailshaft and rejoining it with a new u-joint. My question.....will it work? :???:

Ant the other thing, no I'm not going to 4wd on the truck, I'm stickin with the 2wd for now. I just don't want to worry about the truck all the time thinkin the tranny is gonna just fall out of it. -Cody

ASSume you saying your driveshaft is now too short and you want to make it longer by installing a longer slip yoke up front? If that's what you mean, yes, it will work, and it's what I did when I lifted the truck. These can be found on Ebay HERE and you can saw it off at the length you need.

2de2_1.JPG

I'm swapping the BA/10 to a AX-15 and don't wanna deal with having to get a custom drive shaft so I figured just change the slip yoke from the BA/10 21 spline to the AX-15 23 spline. -Cody

Okay, understand now. AFAIK both yokes use the 1310 u-joints, so as long as the overall driveshaft length is the correct w. the 23-spline yoke it should work fine.

I'm swapping the BA/10 to a AX-15 and don't wanna deal with having to get a custom drive shaft so I figured just change the slip yoke from the BA/10 21 spline to the AX-15 23 spline. -Cody

Okay, understand now. AFAIK both yokes use the 1310 u-joints, so as long as the overall driveshaft length is the correct w. the 23-spline yoke it should work fine.

Umm.......what does "AFAIK" mean??? :???:

-Cody

I think we're having a discussion at cross purposes here.

21-spline vs. 23-spline refers to the interface between the transfer case and the transmission, not to the transmission output shaft. The issue requiring a different drive shaft is length, not spline count.

I think we're having a discussion at cross purposes here.

21-spline vs. 23-spline refers to the interface between the transfer case and the transmission, not to the transmission output shaft. The issue requiring a different drive shaft is length, not spline count.

So are you saying that a stock drive shaft that's behind a 2wd BA-10/5 will slide out of that tailshaft and slide right into a 2wd AX-15 tailshaft? I was told that lenghts were the same but the ends were different.....I'm gettin more and more confused, it would be so much easier if the tranny was sittin in the garage right now, lol.

So....umm....does anyone know if that's right? I just wanna know if the driveshaft (tailshaft end) will work in both trannys. If I can figure that out, I'll get the length stuff figured out when the tranny gets here and ready to go in.

-Cody

FYI (For yalls information) it won't work that easy, I tried to swap the driveshaft over from the BA to the AX15....no go. So just another little tid-bit of info that I found out. So it's back to lookin for parts for me again.

-Cody

What didn't work? Are the splines on the output shaft different, or is the driveshaft length wrong? I was of the opinion that the same front yoke would fit all trannies and/or transfer cases.

What didn't work? Are the splines on the output shaft different, or is the driveshaft length wrong? I was of the opinion that the same front yoke would fit all trannies and/or transfer cases.

He be having a 2wd.... I thought they were just a swap in deal too, not having to mess with anything but pilot bearing, and mount.. hummmm... I have an AX15 sitting here ready to swap.... Cody keep this thread alive..

Yeah the slip yoke in the factory BA-10/5 will not work in the AX-15 so now I'm on the look out for one from an AX-15. Trust me when this thing is all said and done and the tranny is in the truck I'll have a whole write up. I was joking with a friend of mine about the fact that when I get it done I'm gonna start making a swap kit with all the little stuff you've gotta have for the swap, lol.

-Cody

Yeah the slip yoke in the factory BA-10/5 will not work in the AX-15 so now I'm on the look out for one from an AX-15. -Cody

WHY won't it work? Spline count, length, what?

The biggest issue was the size, the tail shaft comming out of the AX15 is a bigger diameter than the BA. The driveshaft yoke wouldn't slip over the tailshaft of the AX15 at all. So Spline count/length doesn't really matter b/c it won't slip over. Just another little bit of info to add to the list of things that don't work. :typing:

-Cody

The biggest issue was the size, the tail shaft comming out of the AX15 is a bigger diameter than the BA. The driveshaft yoke wouldn't slip over the tailshaft of the AX15 at all. typing: -Cody

So it is spline count. More splines = larger diameter shaft. Can you count the # of splines on the AX15 tailshaft? Then we can find you the correct slip yoke. :cheers:

The biggest issue was the size, the tail shaft comming out of the AX15 is a bigger diameter than the BA. The driveshaft yoke wouldn't slip over the tailshaft of the AX15 at all. typing: -Cody

So it is spline count. More splines = larger diameter shaft. Can you count the # of splines on the AX15 tailshaft? Then we can find you the correct slip yoke. :cheers:

It has 27 splines on it.

Okay, then you will have to swap out the slip yoke for a 27 spline yoke, like this one HERE. This yoke is longer than the stock yoke, so you can cut it off to the correct length if the driveshaft needs to be longer than it is now.

Okay, then you will have to swap out the slip yoke for a 27 spline yoke, like this one HERE. This yoke is longer than the stock yoke, so you can cut it off to the correct length if the driveshaft needs to be longer than it is now.

And that's all there is to it?? No worries about any other size issues?

Should be. Both the longer yoke and your driveshaft use the Dana 1310 ujoints, so you'll have to get a new ujoint to change the yoke. You never said (or I might have missed it) if your original driveshaft is too short or too long since you swapped trannys. Which is it? In any event though, you'll still need a new 27-spline yoke for your new tailshaft.

Should be. Both the longer yoke and your driveshaft use the Dana 1310 ujoints, so you'll have to get a new ujoint to change the yoke. You never said (or I might have missed it) if your original driveshaft is too short or too long since you swapped trannys. Which is it? In any event though, you'll still need a new 27-spline yoke for your new tailshaft.

Cool deal, I'll get one ordered. I got my clutch in today, so now all I need is the Shifter/shift tower and the yoke and it'll be time to try again. :clapping: Thanks for all the help :cheers:

-Cody