1988 5.9L Magnum V8 Comanche

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm the OP and I fabricated those mounts.  Yes - the engine sits high.  Yes - you'll need to modify your hood to make it work.  No - I don't have pictures and the Jeep is over 150 miles from me at the moment.

I wasn't asking for anything but thanks for clarifying that, figured you would have cut the hood although I do not want to but if that's the only option then so be it,

and I can see you fab-ed the mounts copying the OE ZJ DS mount...

After doing this for someone else I am glad I went stroker instead, but its still a fun build nonetheless...

Thanks for the info...

I had it to the point where I just had the rear of the hood propped up a little bit (which helps with the engine bay heat) and it cleared, but I'm pretty certain the engine movement would have caused an interference issue, but never got to that point before I was relocated and had to leave some of my projects behind in storage...

Ya that suck to start and not get to finish...

I am likely going to just fab my own mounts and try to lower the engine as much as possible but the manifolds come close to the unibody frame rails

so not sure what's going to happen when the engine twists under torque so we shall see...

The OEM manifolds hug the block way better than any aftermarket ones.  I had a set of the Mopar performance manifolds I wanted to install but it would have required a lot of hacking of frame rails and patching in new pieces to get it all to work properly.  Lowering the engine, as you mentioned, causes the manifolds to get VERY close to the frame rails.  The light blue longbed MJ with the 5.9L engine is probably a much, much better example to model after...I just don't know if he ever had a thread.  The best pictures I saw were on an eBay ad some months ago.  IIRC he had the rear of the hood propped up as well - dunno if that was for clearance or exhausting excess heat.

I've followed this thread for a while now too while planning MY 5.2 SWAP. I ended up making my own mounts, using the stock exhaust manifolds, and notching the frame a bit on the passenger side.

This left me being able to keep my hood lines stock. I have about 3/4" between the top of the air intake hat and about 1/2" between the top of the alternator bracket and the underhood supports. Granted, my engine doesn't sit perfectly centered in the engine bay, but raising the engine high enough to clear the steering shaft would've been silly.

As for the blue '86 build thread years ago, HERE it is. He must've used Dodge pickup motor mounts though. They hang a little wider than the ZJ mounts, but they do sit higher.

• 4 months later...

Well I have finished My V8 Swap for my customer and forgot about this thread...

I was able to make new mounts that lower the engine enough to clear the hood and enough room the exhaust clears the inside frame rails...

All has worked out great so Far..

This is a link to all the pics I took of my build if it can help someone else out there then great...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found